PDA

View Full Version : Door tops - these seem cheap

Apis Mellifera
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Mine are getting marginal. I found these:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300552361231
They seem cheap, but I've never priced door tops. Also, I think I've seen all aluminum ones and would rather have those over these from ebay.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

albersj51
05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
If I were to replace mine, I'd go with rocky mountain tops...no offense to our hosts.

Cutter
05-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I replaced mine - one with a genuine LR part on clearance and one with a proline, both from RN- The genuine was much nicer than that proline, but had I known about the rocky mountain tops, I would have splurged on them. Those look like the proline one.

I Leak Oil
05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
As long as you're not going for the original mystique, the RM tops are the cat's meow! As for the ones on Ebay, I guess I'd be a little concern about their fit and longevity. Seems too good to be true. You never know though....

TeriAnn
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
As long as you're not going for the original mystique, the RM tops are the cat's meow!

I never had any use for cats. I like everything about the RM door tops EXCEPT the windows. The rear one does not open enough to rest your arm on. At least not as easily as stock Series windows.

In 1996 I bought a new set of aftermarket door tops. They were a poor fit, especially along the top of the doors. They let in a lot more cold air and rain. They rusted badly inside and when I replaced them there was a huge pile of rust flakes and the leading end of the tops were rusted through.

I replaced them with Genuine LR Defender door tops from Rovers Down South. Much better built than the aftermarket ones! much better fit. And the rear window opening is plenty wide to rest may arm on the sill.

If you got the money I recommend genuine LR D90 door tops. If you don't mind the limited rear window opening the Rocky Mountain door tops may be best for long term ownership. From my experience I think the aftermarket door tops suck.

knac1234
05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Speaking of door tops, I might be in the market for at least a passenger side one.

I need a bare top....no glass, etc... is this what UNGLAZED means? Or is there a GLAZED equivalent that is also bare?

Just need some help understanding the terminology when I make my purchase.

Julian

TedW
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Based on the address, these might be from LRSupermarket. I bought a set from them when I was over there; they lasted about 5 years before they rusted out - I now have RM tops, which are fantastic.

jac04
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I need a bare top....no glass, etc... is this what UNGLAZED means? Or is there a GLAZED equivalent that is also bare?

Correct. Unglazed = no glass, glazed = glass installed.

singingcamel
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
I use the defender door tops, Love em..

siii8873
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I have both RM and defender door tops. If price were no object I'd go defender. RM's are good also but as noted do not open as far.
I did buy an aftermarket set on a truck I sold and they fit OK for me. I do not think that any of the non all aluminum (genuine of aftermarket) hold up for long / rust out.

TedW
05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Does RM still sell their door tops with an unglazed option? That's how I got mine, and put my old glass in. Works great.

RM also sells some really nice rubber window track that won't rust or grow moss (according to them).

siii8873
05-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Your existing glass ect will not fit RMs. Order entire door tops if changing from original door tops.

TedW
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Your existing glass ect will not fit RMs. Order entire door tops if changing from original door tops.

Mine fit perfectly.

siii8873
05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
the stops / catches/tracks are completely different than original set up. There would ned to be a mod to front glass also. How did you install the original glass in RM door tops?

TedW
05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
the stops / catches/tracks are completely different than original set up. There would ned to be a mod to front glass also. How did you install the original glass in RM door tops?

What I mean to say is that I bought unglazed RM door tops (no glass, no tracks) and my original glass fit fine.

Lord Icon
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I have to say , my new roll up window 2010 Defender doors sourced from our hosts work awesome!!! I can fit my whole arm out the window. God they were pricey but well worth it...
MMMMM roll up windows..... in a series 3 ........:D

amcordo
05-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I liked the proline ones better. Just saying. I got them, removed the aluminum skin, and galvanized them. There's less hiding room for water in the proline, and beacause of how they're built you can easily take them apart and paint all the little corners.

Go proline, galvanize or Por15 and call it quits with some extra cash in your pockets.