PDA

View Full Version : mgb tach in a Series

albersj51
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd really like to add a tach to my Rover (whenever I get it back into one piece). Terri Anne's site says 68 and later, but some of my reading indicates tachs from 68-76 were 3 1/8" in diameter vs 77-80, which were 4" (100mm) like the Rover.

I know many of you own MG's so I am hoping someone can confirm what year range tach i need to look for that will fit in the multi-gauge hole in the dash of a 2A and match the speedo in size.

Thanks,

Jason

Apis Mellifera
05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
You need an RVC tach from a later car, so 68-7...2 or 3 won't work. I used a tach from a late Midget and kept the Rover gauge. I guess you'd measue the Rover gauge and use which ever MGB tach that fits.

albersj51
05-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks, Apis! I know the rover gauge is 100mm/4", so it sounds like I need a 77+ MG tach.

knac1234
05-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Apis is right.....used to have a 78 B, and I think the tach would probably work (so a 77-80 model year I think).

I MIGHT have one still stored away. If you're interested, let me know and I'll dig around for you.

Julian

TeriAnn
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
This collage is the only picture I have of my instrument panel (circa 2003).

The MGB tach is the large gauge on the left. It requires a voltage stabilizer.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/blog/blog-Jpegs/GreenRovercalloge.jpg

albersj51
05-04-2011, 12:03 AM
thanks, TAW!

Do you remember what year yours came from? there appear to be some that are electric (which is what I want) and some that are cable driven. Basically, I want what you have, the 4" electric gauge.

Julian,

If you come across a working one, id be interested.

thanks,

Jason

siiirhd88
05-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Generally, the '65 and below 3 main bearing engine MGB tachs were cable driven and are 4" diameter. The '66 and '67 were electric, but were positive ground and 4" in diameter. The '68 and newer are electric and negative ground, but have the smaller size until they later changed back to the larger 4" case. The electrics have at least three different types of hookup. On the early electrics the white ignition wire wraps around a pickup, and you need the special little clamp for the pickup wire. On the second type the white ignition wires have male and female bullet connectors, and on the third type there is a seperate sensor wire that connects to the coil. The third type needs a green voltage stabilized power wire, as TA stated. There were also several different faces used. Various years of MG Midget / AH Sprite and Truimph Spitfire also had tachs that can be used. Some of the early electric tachs have a adjustment 'wheel' inside the case that can be used to change them from between 4, 6 and 8 cylinders by adjusting the pulse rate.

Bob

knac1234
05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Jason,

Just opened my box of MGB goodies. I have the fuel gauge and speedo from my 78 B, but no tach....I don't remember selling it! Sorry....gave it a shot.

Julian

albersj51
05-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks, Bob..that's exactly what I needed!

Julian, I appreciate you looking.