PDA

View Full Version : Two Quick Questions - Brake Lights & Half Rear Door

IslandRover
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi guys....

Two quick unrelated questions for you related to my '73 Series III SWB....

1 - I unscrewed the dash and steering column housing (plastic case) to give my LR and quick spring cleaning and since then my directional lights stopped working and my brake lights are constantly on (even if the lighst are not on). I have sinced fixed the directional lights by replacing all 4 fuses under the SW and going back in and fiddling with the wires in the Steering column, but unfortunately my brake lights STILL stay on all the time. If I press the brakes the light does not decrease or intensify - they just stay on constantly.

2 - Where can I try to buy a half rear swing door for my LR. The RN proline tailgate + install kit would run me $640 + shipping which is too rich for my blood. Any ideas as to where I can poss locate a used half swing door. I am favoring the swing because I would like to be able to change out the full door to a half door when I take the hardtop off the summer and also so I can keep the half door on even when the hardtop is also on for extra ventilation in the back. The tailgate scares me because I believe I would have to modify the body to receive this new style of door and thus cause problems when I switch back and forth to the full door (based on weather).

Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Broadstone
05-04-2011, 02:54 PM
check the brake light switch on the brake pedal assembly it could be bad. Or stuck.

SafeAirOne
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
All the "hot-with-ignition-key-in-'run'-position" wires coming off the fuse panel are green, including the brake light feed. Check to see that a green wire coming out of the fuse panel hasn't come off and come to rest on a terminal with a white power wire (or that the green wire hasn't chafed through one of the other "hot wires at the panel).

See items #28 and #37 on this wiring diagram (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/category/medium/LR-page84.pdf).

I will almost guarantee you that the problem is in where you were messing around and not at the brake switch or anywhere downstream. Almost...

siii8873
05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Is your truck set up for a swing out tailgate? Most rear cross members have the hinges built in for a conventional drop down tailgate. All that needs to be added would be the antiluce catched for the top. Fairly easy to install. I never have done it but it would seem more difficult to install a swing out tailgate, not a more typical setup. Also to remove/install a drop down tailgate is easy.

IslandRover
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
THANK YOU SAFE AIR ONE & BROADSTONE! Will check it all out tomm am - first thing. Really appreciate the insight!

siii8873 - My LRIII is set up with a full door (hinges on the outside) so I just assume a swing out half door would be easier to install and easier for the people and dogs climbing in the back this summer. But I could easily go for a fold down half door tailgate if that is easier to install and switch back and forth with the fulll door.

Any ideas on where to find an affordable one? Even if it is used?

IslandRover
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I meant to write SIII not LRIII....thanks.

printjunky
05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
They turn up pretty regularly on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Series-Land-Rover-Defender-tailgate-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5c688af1QQitemZ19052 8916209QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

siiirhd88
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
For the brake lights: Power from the fuse box via the one of the green wires (fused, ignition 'on') goes to the brake light switch. When contacts are closed in the brake light switch, the power is sent out the green with purple trace wire directly to the brake lights. Unless something shorted power to the green with purple trace wire after the brake light switch the problem must be at the switch.

I've seen the normal rear door cut down to the height of the tub and used as a side hinged tailgate. A hinge was added near the top of the door, at about the location of the Defender door third hinge. Looking at a rear door, the stock door latch could still be used. The door would need to be cut just below the frame under the window. For strength, the removed section of the door frame could be shortened and rewelded in place at the new shorter height. The top of the door would likely need some sort of capping to cover any sharp edges. Maybe a cut down section of tub capping could work?

Bob

SafeAirOne
05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
For the brake lights: Power from the fuse box via the one of the green wires (fused, ignition 'on') goes to the brake light switch. When contacts are closed in the brake light switch, the power is sent out the green with purple trace wire directly to the brake lights. Unless something shorted power to the green with purple trace wire after the brake light switch the problem must be at the switch.

Er...Yeah--You're right. :(

No matter how or how much the green wire before the switch is energized, power still can't get by a properly operating brake light switch. Don't know what came over me...:o

IslandRover
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Heading out to check the wiring situation....i'll keep you all posted.

Regarding the door....RN sells the drop down tailgate install kit for $241.45 kit (antiluce catched for the top). My SIII is currently set up as stock, with a full door on two hinges (with a stock hardtop). SO if I opt for a drop down tailgate (find one used), then will I have to modify the body to accept this? And...am I forced to buy the mentioned kit? Seems awfully expensive. Any thoughts?

THANK YOU!

siii8873
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
most of the used tailgates have the mounting hardware. Usually just need to get the antiluces and chain stuff. I feel the drop down is easier to install and remove. They are not better for access to the tub for people, dogs ect. Not terrible if you drop it all the way down. Of course if you have any type of hitch you'll most likely dent the center rib. very typical.

Terrys
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
There is no factory half-door for a series. Some people have cut the barn doors down, with the appearance you'd expect. D90 soft top gate might work, but it'll always be a hybrid, as opposed to using the correct, dropdown tailgate.

IslandRover
05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Got it.....so I'll go for the drop down tailgate...if i find a used one I will need to get mounting hardware and the "antiluces and chain stuff". Any ideas on where to buy this for a reaonable price???
THANKS!

LaneRover
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
There may have been a factory 'side open' tailgate on a 90. You could put the hinges and latches from a regular door on the tailgate.

IslandRover
05-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tip but I'm trying to keep the body as non-modified as possible and am hoping to have a setup that allows for an easy swap out of the half door / tailgate to the full door when needed (ie: raining, etc) this summer. The intention is for the half door to allow ventialtion when then the top is on and security (no one falls out) when the top is off. But again, I'd rather not modify the body if I don't half to. If I have to add chains, etc for the tailgate I am fine with that as I can take them off when I swap back over to the full door.

My questions is where can buy a setup like this (half door / tailgate + mounting equip / chains) for a reasonable price. RN offers it for $640 as mentioned.

THANKS AGAIN.

Broadstone
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM
PM sent

stomper
05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
The swing away rear tailgate for a defender is $1,241.76:eek: That ought to put the swing down series tailgate price in perspective for you! I don't think that includes the hardware either.

I Leak Oil
05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I got a tailgate for free, a lift gate for $100, the hardware made for a case of beer. Sold my rear door for $125. Total expenditure on the liftgate\tailgate...... -$6......Just in the right place at the right time I guess.:D