PDA

View Full Version : white smoke from 2.5L NA diesel

Lowlandbear
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a 2.5L NA J19 diesel in a lightweight I imported from England, RHD but the motor is not original obviously, it is from a defender.

I replaced the pushrods, timing belt, injection pump (don't ask) and one rocker arm and it runs but it blows a LOT of white smoke. I think i have the timing on but it is hard to tell if the injector pump is really lined up. I made a nut with 3/16" drill to check it but I didn't do a perfect job drilling the nut and I usually have to take the bolt out and push the drill in to see if it is close.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has any tips to make it easier? I am planning, running it for awhile and checking the valve clearance, then taking it down to the timing belt and check that it is all good and try it in a couple of different places. See if moving the pump a little one way or the other helps. Any tips on doing that, I would like to do it without having to disconnect all the injector lines. I was thinking of grabbing it with a pair of giant channel logs, using robber sheets to keep from marking it up.

I also noticed the timing between the main crank and the valves might be off by ten or fifteen percent of a notch, but I have to look with a mirror, so I may not be looking right on.

It is a bit loud like a clapping sound, It was always loud but its a little different from before I replaced the rocker arm and push rods.

Any help would be welcome. It is only supposed to rain a little tomorrow, so I might stay somewhat dry.

Peace,
James

SafeAirOne
05-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Don't ask how, but I have found that the engine won't start at all if the timing belt is off by only one tooth (7 1/2 degrees late) on the camshaft pulley...

White smoke is an indication of retarded fuel injector timing IIRC.

The way I've cured it is to take a sharpie and mark a line across the pump flange and onto the timing case. I did this so the line is visible from where I was going to be when I adjusted the injector pump.

Next, I loosened the 4 fasteners holding the pump (3 on the flange + the rear support), then loosened (didn't remove) the 4 fuel lines on the back of the pump.

I rotated the pump 1 sharpie width clockwise (looking as if you I was sitting in the driver's seat) then tightened everything down.

I started it up and checked for white smoke. I kept doing this (several times) till the white smoke was gone.

I then checked that the engine didn't knock under load (moderate hill or whatever), indicating pump timing too advanced.

Lowlandbear
05-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Well it runs with a little white smoke. If I set it so there is no white smoke at all while idle it it knocks, so I suppose I have to live with that unless someone has some other great ideas.

When driving, it only puts out black smoke, no white smoke at all, so it is only when sitting.