PDA

View Full Version : Help..now they are painted, is color right?

rastaman
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey guys i have spent all day prepping and painting my wheels, they were left to dry. I started doing some reading on this and other sites. I had read somewhere that the rattle can 'Ivory' paint is the nearest match, now I just read somewhere else that 'antique white' is closest.

I havent removed the masking yet...would love a final answer before I take it off....Is it Ivory or antique white?

Thanks guys

rastaman.

LaneRover
05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I think that I have used Almond

rastaman
05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow...now there is another color?...errrrrrr

stonefox
05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
If it looks good to you then its the right color.:thumb-up:

LaneRover
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
If it looks good to you then its the right color.:thumb-up:

Agreed!

Plus one companies almond might be another companies Ivory.

rastaman
05-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I was thinking about that, however not seeing how the other color looks, I have room for doubt.
Does the wheel color usually match the top?..

Looking at it against the body, it looks Ok. however when looking at the whole truck the white top seems to make the Ivory look very creamy :confused:

Terrys
05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
If you're using rusto-leum, then Almond is much closer to Limestone than OE white.

albersj51
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
It depends on the year...I dont know the switch over dates, but the wheels were either the same color as the body, or the same color as the top (Limestone). I gotta agree with what was said earlier, go with what looks good to you. Will anyone notice the difference between Almond, Antique white or Ivory? Probably not. Will they notice them against Limestone? Maybe, but they're all pretty darn close.

Its the same as the engine paint. Some say Detroit Diesel Alpine Green is as close as you can get, but other say its not. It really comes down to what you have access to, what you want and what you're willing to pay. You can find the exact Limestone, but you'll spend more time and probably more money doing it.

Best of luck!

I was thinking about that, however not seeing how the other color looks, I have room for doubt.
Does the wheel color usually match the top?..

Looking at it against the body, it looks Ok. however when looking at the whole truck the white top seems to make the Ivory look very creamy :confused:

I Leak Oil
05-06-2011, 04:51 AM
If you're after the limestone look you could just pickup some limestone.

rastaman
05-06-2011, 05:18 AM
If you're after the limestone look you could just pickup some limestone.

On the 'cheap', I was hoping to get as close to it as I can using a rattle can.
thanks

stonefox
05-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I've had good luck with Tower Paints.They can make just about any color from code and put it in a rattle can.Its not cheap,but if you dont have a spray setup its decent.
I thinkin' ,roll with what you got if it bothers you come next december repaint as a winter project.

Rineheitzgabot
05-06-2011, 07:05 AM
If you're using rusto-leum, then Almond is much closer to Limestone than OE white.

Terry's right. In the Rustoleum line, "Almond" is almost a perfect match to the LR "Limestone". I have used it, and seen the results.

TedW
05-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Terry's right. In the Rustoleum line, "Almond" is almost a perfect match to the LR "Limestone". I have used it, and seen the results.

I did a comparison of different rattle colors versus Genuine Limestone: Rustoleum Almond (closest, IMO), Krylon Almond (also close), Rustoleum Antique White (way too light).

I'll post a pic tonight or tomorrow.

rastaman
05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
thanks for all the info, everyone. At sunrise this morning I headed to Home Depot and grabbed 2 cans of Rustoleum Almond. I repainted the wheels. NOW I am a happy camper. There wasnt a whole lot of difference in the colors, even as I painted on the new 'Almond' however there is a slight difference, the Ivory was more 'yellow'...I really like how the rims look now...with the Rustoleum Almond....

Yeh Mon!

Rasta

Terrys
05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Glad you're happy with it. I did mine last fall, and it was too cold so they didn't come up as glossy as I would have liked, but this thread has inspired me to do them again, now that it's above freezing, sorta.
I touched up a spot on the top, and you could, at the right angle, see a difference, but I hit the area with the power buffer and some 3M and it blended so well, I have to say it's near on the money. Ifr I eat my Wheaties, maybe I'll compound the whole top...............nah, then the rest of the truck will look worse than it already does.