PDA

View Full Version : stuttering, sputtering IIa

Daktari
05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
The truck: 1965 IIa 109" Station Wagon. Weber 34ICH carb. Working with an experienced Land Rover mechanic to diagnosis this.

In the three years I've had this truck I haven't ever had any trouble like this. Other problems, but not this one. Back in January I was out driving and the truck died. Just cut off. But it started back up after a few minutes. That happened for several days. Then it wouldn't start at all. Ever since it has not run properly, even now that the weather is in the 70s and 80s.

The truck idles fine, but under load it shudders and misses and bucks and doesn't want to go. Uphill is worse.

The points were staying shut, so adjusted them back to spec. They stuck shut again. Still adjusting them back.
Have adjusted the carb numerous times.
Suspected fuel starvation, so installed a new fuel filter.
Put in dry gas as well as gas cleaner.
Found that the coil was the wrong type, so got a new one and installed it.
Blew up a muffler (related to the problem maybe?) and installed a new one.

Drove the truck yesterday in 70 degree low humidity. It ran like a top from home to office. At lunch I drove to grab some food, and on the way home--the old stuttering and sputtering started up again! Limped home.

Both the mechanic and I are stumped. Any ideas are welcome.

bkreutz
05-05-2011, 06:07 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but replace the condenser.

albersj51
05-05-2011, 06:49 PM
did you replace the points or just adjust them? condensor, too.

Wander
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm having the same problem-just started after a running very well, I know it was too good to last!

I had the thought of switching to a petronix set up to possibly avoid the issue completely but would that work?

Cutter
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
sounds familiar...I'm working through this as well, and ditto on the running well recently.

bkreutz
05-06-2011, 01:15 AM
I've switched to pertronix on all my stuff because the quality of available condensers (and points) isn't as good as it used to be. Got tired of replacing them several times a year.

singingcamel
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
you may have a tired , worn out dizzy,try points , condenser and a new rotor.. Retime it.. see what happens..

73series88
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
i had same problem
new dizzy adjusted right
was a bad condenser
pulled and old one from my my mga
been great for over a year
knock o wood
aaron

Nium
05-06-2011, 08:55 PM
If you have a Lucas 25D4 distributor (domed cap). Check and or replace the low tension lead. The symptoms you describe point towards a break in the wire that would present as an intermittent open under load when the distributor advances. If you have a Lucas 45D4 or Duceiller distributor this isn't an issue because the low tension lead is incorporated to the condenser and is thus replaced every time the condenser is replaced.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4765-distributor-low-tension-lead-proline-early-lucas-distributor.aspx

albersj51
05-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Wouldn't a pertronix solve the low tension lead as well? I've got a 25D that I switched to pertronix, but I don't remember if it did away with the low tension lead.

Daktari
05-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the advice on the condenser. The distributor is a late Lucas with a Ducellier rotor. Both are only three years old, but I will check and/or replace the low tension lead, and may also replace the points and condenser if that doesn't help.

The local mechanic that works with me on this truck suggested an electronic ignition (probably Petronix). He went that route with an older Range Rover and was very pleased. How's it working for you, bkreutz?

BTW, the mechanic wasn't exactly stumped. He was thinking this might be the problem.

Cutter
05-10-2011, 03:33 PM
As I said, same issues as you with my truck- I'm awaiting my pertronix in the mail now, so I'll let you know if it solves it for me at least. Seems to be a popular upgrade, my friend who got me into rovers has been telling me to get one since I caught the bug...

bkreutz
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the advice on the condenser. The distributor is a late Lucas with a Ducellier rotor. Both are only three years old, but I will check and/or replace the low tension lead, and may also replace the points and condenser if that doesn't help.

The local mechanic that works with me on this truck suggested an electronic ignition (probably Petronix). He went that route with an older Range Rover and was very pleased. How's it working for you, bkreutz?

BTW, the mechanic wasn't exactly stumped. He was thinking this might be the problem.
I've been happy (especially not having to change condensers twice a year or more). Only downside is that if the pertronix goes bad, there's no real field fix, so I threw the old points and condenser in a box and then into the toolbox so if it did give up the ghost I'd have some chance of limping home.:D