PDA

View Full Version : Everything is going nuts!

avaiojet
05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a 2001 RR 4.6. HSE. So I hope this is in the right place?

First my door locks started, locking and unlocking by themselves, whenever they feel like doing this. They still do.

Then, my battery was putting out low voltage, 10Volts, so I replaced it. Before that, the GPS screen went blank, and the radio audio quit.

Now, I hear the CD tray, the one on the passenger side, in the back cargo area, opening and closing!

Does the computer software need to be loaded again? Dealer says this is a two hour thing to do.

They won't offer help over the phone, they want the RR in service. 127.00 will get me info but no cure.

Anyone ever experience troubles like this?

Help and advice would be appreciated.

Firemanshort
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
You are having a systemic voltage problem.

The doors locking are a sign of low voltage as the security system acts up. The low battery is a sign as well.

I personally saw this exact set of problems in a P38 Rangie that was fixed with a new alternator (The alternator eventually locked up making the problem easy to diagnose!!)

avaiojet
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.

OK, so your saying, in spite of the new battery, my voltage regulator is putting out low voltage that's causing these issues.

So, if I put a voltage meeter on the battery and it reads less than 13.5 volts, that's the reason?

Correct?

greghaugen
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree with Firemanshort that your alternator is probably bad. I had a bizarre problem last year where the traction control light came on, followed by the transmission warning light, and then the truck started to hesitate like it was running out of gas and finally died. This was all within 10 minutes.

What DIDN"T illuminate EVER was the alternator/voltage failure warning light! Since this was so bizarre (and I never suspected low voltage because the alternator light never came on, and all warning lights pointed to the drivetrain) it took some time to figure out. I initially went after the (apparent) transmission problem by buying the tranny module for my Rovacom Lite system and found that the only fault code stored in the tranny brain was "low voltage". Hmmm..

I had the alternator bench tested by a very reliable electrical specialty automotive shop, and it disturbingly tested fine, however, when I put it back in the truck it failed to deliver! I discovered that some alternators can test fine being spun on the bench, but in-situ they just don't work. I bought a reman unit, plopped it in, and life is grand again.

Take the leap and replace the alternator and I think you'll be pleased.

Greg Haugen
'99 38A among other things

avaiojet
05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately, the alternator is doing fine, getting out really good.

To replace it would be 257.00 plus shipping, not to mention the effort to put it in.

The GPS screen is gray. No audio on the radio. Door locks go up and down now and again. GPS CD acts like the bird in a Cuckoo Clock.

Are we missing something?

CB