PDA

View Full Version : Under body paint/potection ???'s

rastaman
05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I am looking for suggestions...I have just completed a 'body on' frame paint job. I wire brushed, sanded, pressure washed and cleaned as best I could. That was then followed by a rust treatment with an OSPO type chemical. Then I painted the frame. Everything looks pretty good now, except the under body section . there is virtually no rust, however I was thinking if some kind of protection should be done, paint or undercoating?

The plans for my series 3 is to have her as a well preserved driver, not as a show piece (as much as wish I could). So is it best to leave the Aluminum section alone or what????:confused:
BTW. now I have gotten the frame and wheels painted, man the body just doesnt match anymore, the worn out paint job is even more pronounced.:)

As Always...Thanks

albersj51
05-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I read that someone on here used 3M rubberized undercoating. You could also use herculiner, buts pretty permenant and more expensive.

stonefox
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm no expert ,but I think those coating will trap moisture and rot from the inside. I think a clean surface , decent paint, keep it clean, and touch up every once in a while would work for the simplest rust protection.I know people like the waxoyl,but I guess its pretty messy when it comes to routine repairs. I bet its great for the inside of frame. Ultimately galvinizing your frame or buying a new galvy frame is i think the best long term fix for rust proofing. IMHO

albersj51
05-07-2011, 06:19 PM
are you taking about the underside of the tub?

jac04
05-07-2011, 07:15 PM
For the underside of the tub, rear wheel wells and insides of the front fenders, I use 3M Underseal Rubberized Undercoating (3M #08883). It comes in 19.75 ounce spray cans. 3M makes other undercoatings, but the 08883 is the best IMO. As with any spray-on coating, the performance of the coating is only as good as your surface preparation.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1651.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1654.jpg

rastaman
05-07-2011, 08:16 PM
are you taking about the underside of the tub?

I am sorry, yes I do mean the underside of the tub...