PDA

View Full Version : easy LHD clutch master replacement

Broadstone
05-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I knew I needed to replace my clutch master cylinder in my LHD 110 CSW for a while now as it would leak onto the pedal and onto my foot requiring top ups often. Felt like I was on borrowed time and could be left stuck which would not be ideal with the family riding with me.

I saw all of the advice of taking the wing off or removing the pedal tower which would seem to make this a lengthy repair. Come to find out I could Kiss the Frenchman who was the original owner!!! He had fitted stainless steel hardware with allen head bolts. I Needed an Allen wrench, ratchet and wrenches. Best part is there was no wing removal, tower removal or anything else not even the bonnet just flipped it up. Took 2 hours and the only assistance was from the wife for bleeding. Turned a project I was dreading into a nice easy repair. Its not often you can say that. So if anyone replaces theirs I would say go with the stainless allen bolts when refitting and make it easier for the next time.

Terrys
05-08-2011, 05:15 AM
On various trucks, all LHD, I've done this job in each of the three ways (wing off, towers out and none of the above) None were fun.

RoverDover
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
My old master came out in a flash and the new one went in just as easily. I had cramped forearms from the contorted position under the dash and under the wing to get at it, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as i was told is would be.

msggunny
05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
The PO of my 72 made a door in the wing so you only had to take out one bolt and it would remove the last 1/8th of the wing. Enough space to get to the MC but didnt look very pretty.

RoverDover
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Most Ex-MoD’s have had a similar ’’door’’ modification made.
It usually looks like kaka!

Terrys
05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
The PO of my 72 made a door in the wing so you only had to take out one bolt and it would remove the last 1/8th of the wing. Enough space to get to the MC but didnt look very pretty.

The PO of a '65 88 I had, a few trucks ago, had an even more calous approach. He undid the first few wing to wing skin bolts, and simply bent the top of the wing over. Shamfull as the rest of the tinwork was pretty nice. I was lucky to get a good wing, less skin from a fellow Landy owner.
The best one I had was a '71 88 that was owned by an Air Force AMT. He carefully crafted a door, complete with flush riveted hinge and zeus fastener. Looked just like the little fuel fill door on an airplane

Broadstone
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Seems as if struggling once gets peoples wheels turning to find a solution and avoiding similar frustration the next time. Some ideas are just better than others I guess, as folding a wing top back is a bit extreme.

USLandy
05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Did the same job a few days ago on my 90. Took the bonnet off and loosened the brake tower and took the clutch assembly out like that. real easy job, took my time with it so I wouldn't have to go mow the lawn for my dad! No reason to have to take the wing off for this job.