PDA

View Full Version : An affordable option for a lift

landrover77
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Howzit, my name is jay, I've got a 95 disco.
I have put my heart and soul into it, I nearly have it to full
"restoration". That is to say, my specifications.
I have stock springs (brand new) and bilstein shocks.
I'd like to put 3 inches of lift, 4 maximum. That includes the tyres.
Can anyone suggest an affordable way to lift the truck, so I can
keep the current springs and shocks (will the bilsteins workout that
I currently have?) I was hoping to not spend more than $1000
that is including tyres. I want to start offroading it, but worry about
clearing obstacles and messing up something. Plus, my current tyres
are not really good for any sand or mud. I have offroaded before with
it and was amazed at its capabilities, certain trails are still OK. Just want more out of my disco. -Maybe spring spacers?

Also how much lift can I put before having to alter driveline or drop pitman arm, ect... -cheers

Buddy
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Unfortunatly keeping stock springs you're limited to spring spacers which are not a good idea on stock springs or a body lift.

this is just purely my opinion not fact or anything else. But I would sell the stock springs get a new set of +2" springs. I would suggest RoverTym but OME are good also. You can keep your current shocks although they will limit your down travel some.

2" of lift is about as much as you typically want to go before you need to start correcting your castor and getting a DC front drive shaft. Again this is subjective and depends on how much ride quality you want to give up. You don't "Need" to correct anything but if you want a closer to stock road performance it would help.

Tires are going to be the big bucks unfortunatly. With a 2" lift and minior triming of the hind quarter panel you and fit 235/85-16's on easy they are about 31.5" tall and 9.5" wide.

I put retreads on mine because I could get 5 of them to my door for $415 and I do minimal road driving with it. < 50 miles a week not including travel to go wheeling. They are a bit noisy on road but they continue to impress the hell out of me off road.

Cheers and good luck

landrover77
04-11-2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks man, I think I have the info now to make an educated
decision. And max. performance out of my disco.
Probably get the Old Man Emu springs and keep the Bilsteins.
BFG's Mud Terrains (go all out/loud on road? -sweet thunder!)

Thanks again.

Mike Koch
04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
If you're looking for an affordable 2" lift, we offer 2 inch heavy duty lift spacers (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5358-2in-lift-spacer-set-of-4-coil-spring-suspension.aspx).

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/medium/RNA5102.jpg

-Mike Koch

CliftonRover
04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I used the spcers from roversnorth an am very happy with them. The stock springs might make for more body roll with the additonal height, I used heavy duty old man emu's with them so I couldn't tell you. a 2 inch spacer, 31" tires and rear shock lowering brackets would be perfect.