PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Pertronix, replace Coil?

Cutter
05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
In an attempt to sort out why my 109 is misbehaving, I decided now was a good time to switch over to electronic ignition. Found a Mustang shop that sold the pertronix unit for the 6cyl Lucas Dizzy, so its in the mail.

Should I replace the coil? Is there something in particular I need or is the stock good enough?

I had also asked this in my breakdown thread, but how does one know when to replace the dizzy cap- I have 4 sitting in boxes and a few look brand new. Is there a visible indicator of wear, or is more just a replace every so often?

albersj51
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I bought a pertronix coil as well, but didn't need to. If yours works and you want to save a few bucks, use what you have.

gudjeon
05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I put in a Pertronix. I also went and set mine up similar to an early 70's North America spec electronic ignition. Did I have to? I dunno, but it works like a charm. I put in what I was familiar with as far as specs go. I put in an OEM replacement coil from early Chrysler electronic ignition, ballast, and opened up the Rover plug gap to .040". I had the coil HT wire off one time and the bugger jumps an inch gap cranking over. Can't be too bad.:thumb-up:

As for the dizzy cap and rotor. I replace when the inside contacts start getting burnt to a greater extent. You can get away with a little. Also, the carbon button that is in the centre can wear down after a while.

ptschram
05-10-2011, 09:58 AM
If the coil you're using does not have a 1.5 ohm current limiting resistor, you run the risk of burning up the pick-up coil in the distributor if the reluctor should be pointing at the pick-up at the instant you turn the key on.

I have a Bosch coil from an EFI Rover in my 109, but it's getting the correct coil later today if I find time.

jac04
05-10-2011, 10:54 AM
^^ According to Pertronix, a 3.0 Ohm coil is required:
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx

Andrew IIA
05-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a standard Lucas coil hooked up to my Pertronix-loaded dizzy (10 years no problems) :thumb-up:

LR Max
05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Same here. Ran a petronix coil for many years, it crapped out, put on the previous Lucas. Its fine.

Bought a whatever-brand 3 ohm coil at advance auto for 20 bucks as my backup.

Cutter
05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Well according to the instructions in the pertronix, mine was able to run on both 1.5 or 3. I used my existing coil, but I had to make a splitter for the positive terminal as that's where the fuel pump also connects. Works beautifully, the engine has never been this smooth.