PDA

View Full Version : Still leaks

cousindave
05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Well i replaced rear main seal twice and it still leaks. I looked to see if there was any scoring on crank shaft but nothing. Any suggestions or tips to get this thing to stop leaking or is it something that is inherant with landy. Does the seal take a while to set and stoo leaking or should it seal immediately? Thanks

Les Parker
05-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Hello there,

The seal should be sound from the point of installation.
Did you change the alloy seal retainers and the "T" seals at the same time?
This is always a source of angst as the result is not evident until the engine is all back together.
Do you have pix of your installation?
If so, would you mind sharing?

cousindave
05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes I replaced per green bible. I purchased seal and tee seals from RN. T seals I used were the rubber ones not thecork. I was careful about not stretching both crank seal and spring retainer. Also placed split on top of crank and spring halfway between split and hinge. coated crank seal with motor oil. Also paid special attention when refitting retainer halves. Sorry no pictures, i wish I did now.

cousindave
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Just started thinking it leaks about the same amount of oil as it did before i did the work.

ccec
05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Arrrgghhh!!!!

Been there... after re-assembling my new 2.25 in a hurry, the rear main leaked quite bad for the 1st month or two (I had a local engine pro do the assembly, with me watching over his shoulder). We used all L-R parts and followed the mantra exactly. But then it DID seem to settle in, and got down to just a small spot underneath, not a puddle of oil. Good Luck!

--ccec

leafsprung
05-10-2011, 01:13 PM
just curious, is it perhaps your oil galley line or some other source?

Walker
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Check that your drain plug is TIGHT. I pulled my engine, replaced the seal and tees per the Green Bible, filled it with oil and it leaked before I even tried to start it. If I tighten it any more I'm afraid I'll strip the threads and have a real mess.

my $.02

Art