X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stonefox
    4th Gear
    • Jul 2010

weeping water pump

I have some weepage from the "weep hole ?" bottom side of water pump,does this mean its time for a rebuild? Is it worth rebuilding myself or just getting a new pump? Of course this couldnt of happened before I repaint and reassembaled everything
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com
  • I Leak Oil
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

Yup, needs a rebuild. They're easy to do. Especially if you have a shop press, which I imagine you do.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• bkreutz
      4th Gear
      • Apr 2010

If it's been sitting a long time, I'd be temped to run it an see what it does. Sometimes the seal will seat with running and the weeping will stop (does that sound like a song)
      Gale Breitkreutz
      '03 Disco
      '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
      '47 CJ2A

Comment

• gudjeon
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

That's what the weep hole is for. It lets you know ahead of time when its on it way out. If you keep as is for a while, it won't go catastrophically but run it and see like above. Chances are it will not "heal" thyself. They usually weep out when the engine cools down. Not a phenomena isolated to old Rover stuff. Choose the route you want. I would put in a good one, be it a kit or replacement pump. For me, I would use the "inexpensive" one in a long distance spares kit.

Comment

• LaneRover
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

I rebuilt one of mine years ago and just used a vise, a press will probably be easier but a vice will work.
          1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
          1965 109 SW - nearly running well
          1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
          1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

Working...