PDA

View Full Version : weeping water pump

stonefox
05-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I have some weepage from the "weep hole ?" bottom side of water pump,does this mean its time for a rebuild? Is it worth rebuilding myself or just getting a new pump? Of course this couldnt of happened before I repaint and reassembaled everything:mad:

I Leak Oil
05-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Yup, needs a rebuild. They're easy to do. Especially if you have a shop press, which I imagine you do.

bkreutz
05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
If it's been sitting a long time, I'd be temped to run it an see what it does. Sometimes the seal will seat with running and the weeping will stop (does that sound like a song:D)

gudjeon
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
That's what the weep hole is for. It lets you know ahead of time when its on it way out. If you keep as is for a while, it won't go catastrophically but run it and see like above. Chances are it will not "heal" thyself. They usually weep out when the engine cools down. Not a phenomena isolated to old Rover stuff. Choose the route you want. I would put in a good one, be it a kit or replacement pump. For me, I would use the "inexpensive" one in a long distance spares kit.:thumb-up:

LaneRover
05-10-2011, 05:50 AM
I rebuilt one of mine years ago and just used a vise, a press will probably be easier but a vice will work.