PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox issue.. ODD.. would like feedback before I drive home

rejeep
05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I was driving back to work from lunch, had a bit of traffic on the expressway and slowed down to a crawl/slow move..
Sudden just as I was about to speed up the truck seem to be lost in a gear.. (don’t know if that makes sense, but only way to describe..)
Pulled over to the side of the road, engine still on and tried rowing through the gears with the clutch in..
Gearbox seemed to be stuck in a single gear.. after about 1 min of shifting (into rev a few times) I gained 2-4..
I revved the engine enough to get it up to speed and back to the office.. 1-2 was almost impossible to get into, 3-4 was easy..
Coasted right into my parking spot shut the motor down and all of a sudden I gained full range of motion, all gear engage, and after a quick spin around the lot I’m up in my office toying this..
Any ideas what happened?
It’s a brand new recon gearbox..

bkreutz
05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Check and see if the shifter mechanism has worked it's way loose from the top of the trans.

rejeep
05-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Check and see if the shifter mechanism has worked it's way loose from the top of the trans.

this is where having the acoustic floor mat stinks..

I also read an article about the nylon bush at the end of the shifter cane..
Going to get it home and park it for the weekend… have some other projects to attend to anyway..

I Leak Oil
05-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Yup, could be the ball on the end of the shifter has given up the ghost. Could be something else is jamming the shift rods, a stone, miscellaneous loose nut...Or your truck could be rebelling due to all the shiney new paint!

rejeep
05-12-2011, 02:45 PM
The more I look at the situation and the process of shifting, it has to be a foreign object got stuck in the gear lever area..
Nothing else would cause such an issue and then cure itself miraculously..
Aside from the rattling and smooth shifts, I assume the truck is 100% to drive me home..