PDA

View Full Version : Door top questions

IIA
05-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm getting ready to replace the seal between the top and bottom 1/2s of the driver's door on my IIA. I'm also thinking of adding speed nuts: http://tinyurl.com/3rf9o5j

It's my daily driver so I'd like to be ready for any problems. When looking at the bolts today I noticed something strange - one appears to be upside down - with the head of the bolt at the bottom. The other has the thread end at the bottom and the head can't be seen. How do I get to the existing bolts to replace them? Recommendations for what to replace them with? Ways to prevent rust in the future? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

I Leak Oil
05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
The factory series door tops have stud that are welded into the frame. There should be no hex head bolt. Sounds like a SPO trick! Anyway my usual proceedure for trucks that have spent their life here in the northeast are:
a) Find my 11/16 open end wrench.
b) Try to turn nut. If it turns easy you probably just twisted the whole stud and tore it from the rusty door top.
c) If the nut does come off, find BFH and proceed to beat the conjoined stud/doorframe into submission. After 20 minutes of this I remind myself that I'm not as young as I used to be and find the sawzall.
d) Order RM door tops or Defender door tops, install and relax with a cold one.

ducttape
05-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I have a set of said speed nuts. I have to say they seem much more useful on paper than in practice.

Unless they are tightened tight the top wobbles. To tighten tight requires a minute or two a side and a good grip. Before I had a stubby ratchet wrench and got pretty good at it. And I knew when tight was tight

At a fifty dollar bill it won't be the most expensive Rover purchase you make but it does buy a lot of six packs...

Apis Mellifera
05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I made these out of stainless for a few dollars:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00900.jpg

I use them all the time. With the larger knurled lower, I can easily tighten the tops enough by hand. I replaced the studs with stainless too. If the ones available retail are not corrosion resistant and/or are of a small diameter, they're probably not worth the cash.

xsbowes
05-13-2011, 04:30 PM
If you are a lightweight owner, the speed nuts are too long.

IIA
05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
So is there any way to replace the original studs without welding in a new one?