PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 shift lever spring ????'s

rastaman
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I am putting the tunnel and floor back together,(PO took it apart) .
I know there is a little retainer that slides down the lever and the spring seats on that. However I am not sure how far down the rod the retainer should go, at the moment it slides down to the threaded section. and on initial assemble it seems that there was not enough tension on the spring.

I suspect that the retainer should not go beyond the last bend on the rod. If this is right, how can this retainer be kept in the correct place.(what is the correct place?)

I didnt find answers in my search.
( I know it is a simple problem, however I am not sure how much tension should be on the spring).

Thanks in advance..

leafsprung
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Tunnel needs to go in first, then the retainer, then the spring, then the locknut, then the knob. The retainer is kept in place by the tunnel on one side, spring on the other.

-Ike

rastaman
05-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Tunnel needs to go in first, then the retainer, then the spring, then the locknut, then the knob. The retainer is kept in place by the tunnel on one side, spring on the other.

-Ike

Are you saying that once in place, the spring will then be exposed, outside and above the tunnel and under the lock nut for the knob?

KevinNY
05-13-2011, 12:11 PM
YES

rastaman
05-13-2011, 12:46 PM
YES

DUH!...I dont know why I was thinking it went under the tunnel cover....now it all makes sense...my spring is so rusty I couldnt imagine that it would be in plain view...again, duh!
Thanks KevinNY