PDA

View Full Version : Before I bite off more than I feel like doing on a Saturday AM...

rejeep
05-14-2011, 09:12 AM
How prone are the bolts in the thermostat housing to freeze into the block?

Started to remove them this morning and they just didnt feel right while unbolting..
Left my mapp gas at the shop so I just moved on to the next project...

NC_Mule
05-14-2011, 09:19 AM
How prone are the bolts in the thermostat housing to freeze into the block?

Started to remove them this morning and they just didnt feel right while unbolting..
Left my mapp gas at the shop so I just moved on to the next project...

I hear ya, my water pump/thermostat looks old but works fine. I have a new thermo and pump on the shelf but I can't bring my self to tackle that project for fear of breaking bolts (they look rough). I've been putting WD40 on the bolts for the past 6 months. I think I'm going to order a ft. main seal, timing chain kit and knock all that stuff out at once.
pb

Triumphdaytona2007
05-14-2011, 11:38 AM
mine broke off on my project engine, i sprayed them with pb blaster and went to change the thermo and they snapped at the heads

rejeep
05-14-2011, 12:15 PM
i have a feeling thats where mine are heading....
i can get just enough torque on them with a ratchet to start turning them and then i get the feeling that im taking the head off.....

PB blaster and MAPP gas.. just have to give myself a good couple hours for this one.

masonater
05-14-2011, 01:21 PM
2 of the 3 broke off on mine when i replaced the thermostat years ago after days of soaking with PB. Turned into a weekend project. I had to drill out and helicoil the block. Was not the worst thing but took some time.

stonefox
05-14-2011, 01:58 PM
If this was easy, everybody would be doin' it.:D

LaneRover
05-14-2011, 02:04 PM
If this was easy, everybody would be doin' it.:D

Thats what they say about making movies too!

Triumphdaytona2007
05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
when mine broke off i was able to get the housing off i kept spraying the broken bolts with pb blaster and was able to pull them out with a stud puller, turned into a weekend project though

rejeep
05-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies..

still unsure what I will be doing at this point..
letting it be or tempting fate..
hit it good with PB blaster today just incase.

JimCT
05-15-2011, 06:09 AM
give the bolts a few good whacks with a big hammer and drift before you try and turn them. A few hits and some penetrating oil can make a big help.