PDA

View Full Version : Dragging Brakes

rickv100
05-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I replaced the brakes and drum on the front left corner of my Land Rover but it appears to still be hanging.

I have turned the brake adjusters all the way back in and they are still hanging.

This is a Series III ex-MOD if that makes a difference.

Possibly a stuck wheel cylinder?

Rick

bkreutz
05-14-2011, 06:20 PM
From your description can I assume that it was dragging before you did the brakes?. When you put the drum on did it slide on and then start dragging after you used the brakes? (what I'm thinking is a bad brake hose that's not allowing the pressure to release properly).

jac04
05-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Check the posts on the brake shoes that contact the adjusters. I have seen different shoes from different manufacturers that have posts that are too long. The post will hit the base of the adjuster, causing the shoes to be out of alignment. Compare the new shoes to the old shoes to see if this is the case.

It is also possible that the shoes are out of alignment due to improperly adjusted steady posts. Also, the posts originally had caps on the ends, which can easily be lost. This will cause shoe alignment issues as well.

rickv100
05-15-2011, 07:42 AM
When I first bought the truck I discovered that the front wheel had been dragging. This was due to the lining from the rear shoe coming off and becoming lodged between the front shoe and the drum.

The drum looked scored so I replaced the drum and shoes with a set from our hosts.

When I put the drum on the brakes it was tight but was able to be put on by hand.

I did check the post alignment but I will go back. I have to check but I think at least one cylinder was replaced by the previous owner.

Rick

artpeck
05-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Check also that the springs are properly connected per the diagrams in the green book. I found it was easy to get it not quite right and then they wouldn't retract properly.

Crash
05-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Another theory.

Shoe lining too thick or drum undersized.

just went thtrough this and the lining was likely the problem.

C

jac04
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
I did check the post alignment but I will go back.
How did you check the steady post alignment? I found that the shoes can look aligned, but be off enough to cause problems.

Definitely check the length of the posts on the shoes. I chased the same type of binding issue on the 11" brakes. I first found that the crappy BritPart shoes were poorly made. I then bought a Mintex set, but still found that the posts on the shoes were slightly too long. Once I trimmed the posts on the shoes by about 1/4" to match the originals, everything was fine.

Due to the design of the 11" twin-cylinder brakes, it can be difficult to initially align the shoes to get the drum in place. If the drum is initially tight, then press & release the brake pedal (or tighten the adjuster all the way, then loosen all the way) to seat the shoes. At this point the drum should turn freely. If it doesn't, then there is a problem that must be fixed before driving the vehicle.

rickv100
05-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Jac04,

By the post you are referring to the post on the brake shoes that is used by the adjustment cam?

When I replaced the front brakes there was someone else on the forum with a similar issue. I remember checking with a feeler gauge to make sure it was not hitting the backing plate.

I will pull the brake drum and check it out. Hopefully there is a wear pattern to the shoes that might tip off as to the problem.

Rick

jac04
05-15-2011, 05:21 PM
On 11" brakes, there are 2 different post locations to worry about - the posts on the shoes themselves that contact the adjusters and the 2 steady posts on the backing plates that contact the shoes to keep them aligned.

If you still have the original adjusters, then the posts on the shoes may not hit the backing plates, but they may hit the base of the adjusters. If you need a feeler gauge to check, then the posts are too close. They should be about 1/4" away from anything on the backing plate.

The steady posts on the backing plates need to be adjusted properly to keep the shoes aligned to the drums. If improperly adjusted, binding can happen.

rickv100
05-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Gale wins the prize. It was a bad brake line. I backed off the adjusters and had my son help bleed the brake. I noticed when I bled the brake that I was not getting a lot of brake fluid out.

What happened was once he applied pressure to the brake the brake was locking up and not releasing pressure.

Once I replaced the brake hose everything was fine and I was able to spin the brake drum by hand.

Rick