PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this part.....think it is the festoon bulb holder referred to below?

knac1234
05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Hello all,

I was sorting through some of the bins of stuff today and came across this bulb holder. I THINK it might be the holder that is for Series 3 dashes that is tough to find. Any clues? If so, can anyone send me a pic of how it is mounted. Ironically, if it is this part, I too will be interested in the answer to Terry's question posted earlier :D

Cheers,
Julian

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/100_4369.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/100_4368.jpg
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/100_4367.jpg

siii8873
05-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Julian,
that is the dash light that mounts on the top left hand corner of the dash. It illuminates the switches and is wired into the panel lights.
I can get a picture tomorrow. Pouring out here right now in the northeast.
Bob

scatterling
05-15-2011, 07:02 PM
It is the holder.

knac1234
05-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! I would appreciate pics from other angles too if possible. I can't for the life of me see how it mounts exactly....looks like an afterthought. Went out to the Series, and it looks like the screw on the side is clear enough, but the one on the top--the hole on the heater lever control does not exist.

Plus, just holding it in place (I think)....what illumination does it provide really anyway?

On another note, I know someone who is dying to get one of these....if you have one you'd like to part with, let me know.

Cheers,
Julian

Terrys
05-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Julian, Guess you got your answer. Yes, it's the same as mine. I saw a bunch of bulbs hanging in blister packs down at the boatyard yesterday, but I had no idea there were so many different sizes, let alone voltages. A lot of the on-line bulb people have Festoon bulbs in red also, and I think that would be nice, I hate bright dash lights, especially with scratched series windshields, at night, in the rain.

Apis Mellifera
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00928.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/Land_Rover/DSC00927.jpg

artpeck
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
You mentioned it looks like an after thought. It is designed like an after thought. Looks very tacked on almost like there was some reason in the US to do it to meet requirements and an engineer slapped it on in 5 minutes.

knac1234
05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Apis---Thanks for the extra pictures....exactly what I needed. So it appears to illuminate-sort of-the switches and not so much the heater control levers, which is what it seemed like when trying to hold it in place.

Artpeck---It does look like it was slapped on in 5 minutes :D Honestly, no offense, but of all the British cars I've owned, it is the most ridiculous thing I can remember seeing! But, as it is somewhat rare, and original, I like to have all the proper bits on my truck.....so it will be mounted there!

Does anyone know for a fact whether these were originally on ALL Series 3s, or a certain range of years??? I have a 1972.

Also, just a reminder.....if you have an extra floating around, I probably have a buyer for you!

Cheers,
Julian

artpeck
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I totally get it and agree. It is part of the charm of owning the truck and mine is 100% stock with all oem parts. I am a little fanatical about that. I was simply agreeing with the after thought aspect.

Mine is a '73 US import brought in by ship to the west coast. It hs it but I can't comment on others. I also have the original documents for transport on the ship which is kind of cool IMO.

Cutter
05-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Nothing like that on my swiss import. I didn't know that the dash light switch had a 3 position switch for the dome light. On mine I connected the dash light leads to the headlamp switch and repurposed the switch for my interior lights. Maybe I'll put it back someday if I feel like buying a new 3 way switch and trying to procure the little dome/dash icon piece.

TedW
05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
I totally get it and agree. It is part of the charm of owning the truck and mine is 100% stock with all oem parts. I am a little fanatical about that. I was simply agreeing with the after thought aspect.

Mine is a '73 US import brought in by ship to the west coast. It hs it but I can't comment on others. I also have the original documents for transport on the ship which is kind of cool IMO.

That's WAY cool. I have the original owner's manuals, tolls, tool roll, jack, but no transport or make docs.

knac1234
05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I hear you on originality. When I restored my Hillman Imp, being so rare in the States and I think the only RHD late model one on the continent, I was fanatical about keeping everything OEM (which was near impossible with nothing like the support we have on the Series and on my MGs). However, it is driven only lightly in the summer.

The Series, on the other hand, while wanting to keep it mostly original, my wife and I are doing some things to it to make it "ours." Nothing irreversible and permanent, but making it a little unique. And, frankly, I can't justify a ground up resto and keeping it bone stock original when we bought it, and have been using it for, driving in the snow, mud, and daily!

I think the only original docs I have is the tatty owner's manual and possibly the tool roll (the BST wrenches were a life saver when I rebuilt the gear shift lever!!). It has a jack and lug nut wrench...not sure if they are original....will get round to posting pics soon!

If anyone has a definitive answer telling me that the lamp is NOT original on my 72, then perhaps I'll consider selling it to help out my friend!

Cheers,
Julian