PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Clutch Pedal

printjunky
05-16-2011, 09:52 AM
My clutch pedal's frozen (almost) solid. It can be pushed in and pulled out, but only at great effort. I'm pretty certain it's a result of not having any under-wing spray shield during the little driving I did this past winter.

Anyway, shouldn't be a big deal to recondition it. But can I just pull the tower? (tips and tricks? - Done an M/C, but don't think I've pulled a pedal before.) Or do I have to pull the wing as well?

morgant
05-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I won't say mine came out easily, but that was more because the fittings on my clutch lines couldn't be ungunked on the truck (as able to do it on the bench, though) and so one of the lines, master, and pedal tower all came out as one piece. I didn't have to remove the wing, but mine's RHD, so I'm not sure what the clearance would be like on yours.

If you don't have a whole bunch of stuff still hanging off your pedal tower, like I did, it's really just removing the six bolts and lifting it out (you can turn the tower 90° to get the pedal out through the hole in the bulkhead).

printjunky
05-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Yup, wing off, tower out (line fitting gave me a little trouble) in less than an hour. Last time I pulled the wing it was 31 and freezing rain. So this was a cakewalk.

The pedal is really frozen. It will have to be taken apart and cleaned/lubed. The tower had no "top cover" so probably got somewhat dirtier than normal. My plan is to make a cover, looks easy, anything - even plastic - with six holes, should keep a little more gunk out. That plus a splash guard should prevent a repeat. Oh, and a new M/C is definitely needed. Bent the shaft trying to get the nut off.