PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover Life Lesson 785

superstator
05-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Never avoid a task because you assume it will be difficult.

Last winter on a frosty mowning, my drivers side wiper stopped moving and started making a horrible grinding noise. I made a cursory investigation and decided I must have stripped the gear inside. Assuming I'd have to replace the whole worm driver cable thingy, which would mean reinstalling the wiper motor I'd just replaced (easily the most frustrating repair I've made so far), I decided to just ignore it till I started my tear-down. This meant I couldn't drive it on rainy days for the last six months, which this being Oregon means I've driven it about 3 times since.

Tonight I was taking the dash apart, after getting the roof & windscreen off this weekend. I undid the four screws holding the defroster vents up, and finally got a look at the back of the wiper. One nut had fallen off, letting the worm drive slide away from the wiper. Four screws, ten minutes, and one new nut would have had her back on the road in November. :mad:

Lesson learned...

artpeck
05-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Very good point. Although rover life lesson 786 is that your assume it is going to be a few screws and 10 minutes and a few hours later you have a wing panel off and an express parts order on the way...

smukai
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
That you are going to call Rovers North three times for your project.

The first time is for everything you think you need.
The second call is a week later for what you forgot to order.
The third call is two weeks later for what you just broke.

That timeline is only when I am motivated...often the calls have a month gap. Ok, I'll be honest, sometimes ever a year gap.

printjunky
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM
784: (possibly the most well-documented of all) Any one thing you attempt to tackle, will always beget at least one other thing.

(It's a good bet that the specific subordinate variations to this would be nearing infinity)
e.g:
784a.
784a.1.
784a.1.†

and on ....