PDA

View Full Version : Two clutch things

printjunky
05-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Just one, actually, anyone have any secrets to getting the big pin out of the clutch pedal? (that the pedal pivots on). My pedal is frozen, and definitely needs recon'd. (tower's out and on the bench with the M/C removed) I got the little retaining pin out OK. And I've gone at the main shaft pretty hard, though I have yet to really throw the BFH at it. It hasn't budged even a tiny bit, so I wanted to check here before jumping in again.

(gotta love my PO, whose very well made homemade floors were OVER fastened (with stainless) and over sealed to the homemade footwells. Great bulletproof work, but a bear to get out. I'll be going with regular silicone (instead of whatever bedding compund/seam sealer he used), and figuring out some kind of captive nut situation for some of the non-standard fasteners he used.

morgant
05-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Just one, actually, anyone have any secrets to getting the big pin out of the clutch pedal? (that the pedal pivots on). My pedal is frozen, and definitely needs recon'd. (tower's out and on the bench with the M/C removed) I got the little retaining pin out OK. And I've gone at the main shaft pretty hard, though I have yet to really throw the BFH at it. It hasn't budged even a tiny bit, so I wanted to check here before jumping in again.

I drove mine out pretty easily with a 1/2" pin-punch (from the concave end, not the end w/the threaded fill hole), but mine was in decent condition.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showpost.php?p=63135&postcount=21

greenmeanie
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
There is a roll pin through the end of the trunion and the housing on the opposite end from the lube fill plug. You need to knock it out first although its probably corroded. The pin is part # 50446 should you want a replacement for reassembly..

morgant
05-18-2011, 12:36 PM
There is a roll pin through the end of the trunion and the housing on the opposite end from the lube fill plug. You need to knock it out first although its probably corroded.

Yup. Sounded like he had already gotten the retaining pin out.

The pin is part # 50446 should you want a replacement for reassembly..

Is that for the retaining pin or the pedal axle/pin? I was just gonna cut of a nail to replace the retaining pin in the end of the trunion.

greenmeanie
05-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Its for the roll pin.

Sorry for the poorly worded post. I meant there is probably some corrosion on the trunion/pedal tower. Heat it a bit and then hit it harder.

printjunky
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Yup, heating it is my next step. We'll see what after work brings.

And as mentioned, I did get the retaining pin out. It maybe is supposed to be, but it was not a roll pin, it was a solid pin. It was in there pretty tightly though.

morgant
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
And as mentioned, I did get the retaining pin out. It maybe is supposed to be, but it was not a roll pin, it was a solid pin. It was in there pretty tightly though.

Mine wasn't a roll pin either. Probably the most precision fit I've seen on my truck yet!

printjunky
05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
How about an 8lb sledge? That enough BFH for ya? Well that's what it took. And even with that it didn't go easy. It had obviously long-ago run out of oil. Some pitting on the big pivot pin. If I lube it well on reassembly (and if I remember to put some oil in there once in awhile) I think I could still get another bunch of years before I have to do anything to it again (esp once I get a splash guard installed and replace the missing top cover). And I'm tempted to not even do a repaint. Don't have any blast equipment,and that's the only way it's gonna get clean enough to paint. Plus forum complaints notwithstanding it's an easy in and out (thanks again Mike (PO) for all the use of stainless hardware!)

Now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder if something a little more tenacious might work better inside that cylinder. I suppose grease would not flow enough. Maybe just extra thick oil? Just to extend the time before it would go completely dry. Any ideas?