PDA

View Full Version : How to clean an air filter ?

MbogoRover
05-18-2011, 11:14 AM
WHile I wait on some parts to continue installing my new rear fuel tank I decided I would/should clean the air filter.

I know these are oil bath filters but since this will be the first time I have cleaned an oil bath air filter I was hoping one or more of you might be able to give me some pointers and/or instructions?

I have removed the canister from it's cradle, looked inside and see oil in the bottom chamber but before proceeding furhter I thought it wise to ask for some guidance.

As always, I thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

All the best,
Mbogo

singingcamel
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a parts cleaner I run them thru, Dismantle and clean the filter with carb cleaner. Gas will work for the inside.
Don't forget to remove the upper little piece on top . Thats where most peolple forget to clean out..Thats a important spot, that where the air travels down to the oil bath .

Terrys
05-18-2011, 02:42 PM
As said, best way to clean them is in a parts cleaning tub (SafetyKleen) take it you your local gas/service station and ask them to do it, it's really a simple matter of flushing it, the bowl is pretty simple. Go out behind you neighbor's garage to dump the dirty gas.

printjunky
05-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Nah, there's a storm drain right at the corner.

UnfrozenCaveman
07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey kids....please don't confuse gasoline for parts cleaning solvent.

I used to have a cousin who did....."extra crispy" comes to mind :nono:

stonefox
07-14-2011, 05:19 PM
I used to clean everything with diesel,but with the price at $ 4.25 ,its more economical to use petro. Nonfammable parts cleaner ,now were is the excitement in that.:D

Terrys
07-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Hey kids....please don't confuse gasoline for parts cleaning solvent.

I used to have a cousin who did....."extra crispy" comes to mind :nono:
No offense intended, and sorry about your cousin, but most parts cleaning solvents are as flamable as gasoline, with the added danger of toxic VOCs. I'd prefer to use the reasonably good judgement that got me this far, and use gasoline, than a solvent that is more harmful. Ever read the MSDS sheets for those solvents?

lrdukdog
07-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I use white spirit to clean mine, have used it for years. I also use cheap 30wt oil to refil the bottom. Just make sure the wp has all evaporated before reinstalling.
Jim Wolf

SafeAirOne
07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
... most parts cleaning solvents are as flamable as gasoline, with the added danger of toxic VOCs...

True, but gasoline is very volitile compared to cleaning solvents found in parts washers. One of the maintenance facilities on the airport where I work burned down 2 1/2 airplanes and a good portion of the the hangar when the air compressor kicked on while an aircraft was being defueled 25 feet away.:eek:

Can't say I haven't used gasoline to clean parts myself, though...