PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox - 1 more question before reinstalling

SeriesShorty
05-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks to everyone's help I'm working on getting the gearbox back in the truck. After struggling to get this thing on a board to slide back over to the truck, I've come to realize there is no way in hell this thing in going in the same way that it came out. I managed to get the entire lump out through brute force and with the help of a much stronger assistant.

I'm considering removing the bellhousing/main casing from the transferbox/front output assembly.

??? Is it really just as simple as unbolting and removing, then mating up and bolting back on, without tinkering with anything else? I don't want to open up a whole other can of worms just to save myself some muscle, cursing and struggling moving the entire assembly as one.

Thanks again peeps!
Jen

Apis Mellifera
05-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't have a specific answer, but having done the job several times, for sake of ease, buy this for $152:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

Sadly it was too late for me to realize that one of the vertebra in my spine costs more than $152. The remaining ones are safe from heavy objects now, as are my fingers and toes.

SafeAirOne
05-21-2011, 02:07 PM
...Or rent it (engine hoist) from a rental place. It'll make quick work of the job and will be money well-spent.

scatterling
05-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Jen, use the engine hoist. Having the gearbox in a sling allows you to tilt it side to side, front to back and up and down. It makes the finicky job of lining up the primary pinion and flywheel so much easier.

cousindave
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I have removed and reinstalled the transmission both ways. I have used a hoist when i lived in a house with a much larger garage then i have now. And with a hoist it's relatively painless. With my latest project, I don't have the ability to get a hoist in my tiny garage,so I seperated the taansfer box and transmission. The transmission is actually light and it will go in without a fuss. Really no big deal seperating the two. Good luck!

SeriesShorty
05-22-2011, 04:30 PM
I tried separating the case but even with the green bible I couldn't figure out how to get to all of the internal nuts. Oh well.

You guys have really talked me into using some type of hoist. I drove up and checked in the warehouse at work cause I know we have some chainfalls and other rigging stuff, but low and behold I actually found TWO hoists! Why we have engine hoists at an elevator company is beyond me, but boy is it my lucky day. :) One is just absolutely massive, but the other one is the same size as the one in the HF link. And I might be able to sucker my boss into throwing it into his truck and dropping it off at my house (I only live 2 miles from work).

I'm getting so excited to take a drive again!!!

My back thanks you guys for talking me into finding a hoist. :thumb-up:

gudjeon
05-24-2011, 01:27 PM
A small piece of 1x4 is about the right thickness to put under the engine adapter/clutch housing and the crossmember. If you separate the bellhousing from the transmission, you do not have access to tighten up the clutch release, etc. Also when the layshaft drops out of the rear pocket bearing, it is can be a nightmare to put back in with the housing. Allign the housing a straight as you can and rock the input/output park drum back and forth to help match up the input splines as it goes in. It is not an exact science by any means, but once it goes in, you be glad when a plan comes together.:thumb-up:

Good luck.

SeriesShorty
06-02-2011, 01:24 PM
It's in! And I did it without a hoist, as a whole unit, and without a helper. Luckily I had a helper available to get that last 1" in as it was a real pain to line up the studs.

Now I can work on putting everything else together. I'm in the home stretch now....:thumb-up:

martindktm
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Is your clutch disk in the center of the flywheel?? If not aligned gearbox won't go in...

SeriesShorty
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
The transmission mount bracket with the open side goes on the drivers side, right? I had the passenger side is lined up and bolted in, but when I went to check the drivers side it sits about an inch closer to the frame past the bolt holes. http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/sailorjennie6/?action=view&current=PICT0110.jpg

The new rubber mounts that I got were almost twice the size of the originals in diameter. I didn't think it would make a different but apparently it does.

Grrrrrrr, now I have to wait on new mounts. :mad:

SeriesShorty
06-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Well as if the motor mount brackets not lining up isn't bad enough, the clutch pedal won't go down. It's hard as a rock and doesn't budge. What the heck could have happened in the gearbox removal and reinstallation that could cause that. I literally know ZERO about hydraulic system and clutches.

Momo
06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
So to clarify, your gearbox is mated to the engine, the right hand gearbox mount is bolted up, but the left is not. Do you have the clutch linkage assembly refitted? Did you clamp the slave line and forget to take the clamp off? THat would cause a hard pedal.

You have the mounts on the correct sides. It looks from the pic like you could use a 2x4 or better yet a crowbar and lever the LH mount into alignment and drop the bolts through the holes.I've done this before and it's a snug fit with some inherent tension. Just make sure your RH mounting bolts are a loosened to allow some play.

Mount it up then push the clutch pedal with your hand, or have a helper step on it, while you look carefully at the linkage to see if there's something wrong with the assembly, something binding or whatever.

The only other thing I can think of right now is maybe your withdrawal fork is installed backwards... fork turned 180 degrees? Not sure that's even possible, but I have a gearbox apart on my workbench right now, so I'll check to see if it can be done and let you know later today. Or maybe one of the forum wizards knows if it's possible...

SeriesShorty
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Long story short, after removing and finding the slave/flex line were good, I put everything back together and I magically have a good pedal now. I won't even mention that I think the problem with having a hard pedal was that my driveshaft slipped from it's holding place and must have wedged underneath the clutch linkage. When in doubt, check for the dumbest things first.

I'll start putting everything back on see what I got. Man I work slow, I've been on the gearbox issue since December. :o

Thanks for everyone's help and keep your fingers crossed!

Momo
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Happens to the best of us. Bright side was it was an easy fix! Did you get the gearbox mount bolted down?

SeriesShorty
06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks Momo, I did get the motor mounts bolted down. Luckily a friend stopped by and I was able to sweet talk (Boulevard Bully Porter is my preferred method) him into helping wedge over the gearbox enough to compress the new rubber mounts. Took a crowbar and a long pry bar in unison. It went so quick that the poor guy only got one Porter outta the deal. ;)