PDA

View Full Version : 109 spare loc, brakes

siii8873
05-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Did rover make a spare carrier for a 109 on the sides of the tub just behind drivers seat. Think it would require a well.

I was doing some fluid checks and noticed that there is not a bleeder on the top front wheel cylinders. What would the proceedure be to bleed these cylinders.

Triumphdaytona2007
05-21-2011, 09:31 PM
my shop manual shows that some of the rovers did have a place to mount the tire there, it had a wheel well and a bracket that mounted to the top of the tub to hold the wheel upright, mine originally had one but the previous owner took it all off and put a patch over the wheel well

Momo
05-21-2011, 09:48 PM
y shop manual shows that some of the rovers did have a place to mount the tire there, it had a wheel well and a bracket that mounted to the top of the tub to hold the wheel upright, mine originally had one but the previous owner took it all off and put a patch over the wheel well

This was standard equipment for 109 Regular models. (The mount on the left is complete, while on the right I just happened to have an extra well that just sits in the hole, I've never rivetted it down in 15 years.)

rickv100
05-21-2011, 09:56 PM
On the 109 with 11" brakes there are two cylinders on each wheel, the brake bleeder is at the bottom of the wheel.

Rick

siii8873
05-22-2011, 08:12 AM
I see that bottom cyl is only one w/ a bleeder. Doesn't this make it difficult to get the air out of the top cyl?

siii8873
05-22-2011, 11:43 AM
ANyone know where one of these spare setups could be found?

jac04
05-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I see that bottom cyl is only one w/ a bleeder. Doesn't this make it difficult to get the air out of the top cyl?
Yes, it can make bleeding them a PITA. I have even seen people state that you can't get the 11" brakes to bleed and you will have to live with 2-pump brakes.:eek:

With that said, I had no problem at all bleeding mine. However, I realized what I was up against and I bled the front brakes before I installed the backing plates. I layed the backing plates on a block with the bottom cylinder slightly higher that the top one. I then bled the brakes using a Motive power bleeder combined with the pedal-pump method. I have found that vacuum bleeders & pressure bleeders aren't all that great for getting air out - they just don't move enough fluid through the system quick enough to dislodge & carry out air pockets & bubbles. The best method I have found for initial bleeding is to use the Motive power bleeder to keep the reservoir topped off and just pump the heck out of the pedal.