PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem

BobJones
05-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Folks, it's been a while but I'm back to work on the beast (59 SERII 88)
I was able to start it three times yesterday without a problem, but on the forth try it was dead. There was no clicks or whirls or sounds of any sort.
Battery is good, switch is good, and the starter is grounded, but no sign of life. I'm thinking that the starter is dead, it is original.
Could I be missing something?
Also, how many cranking amps do you folks suggests for a battery for these things? And mine is still positive earth.

SafeAirOne
05-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Have you cleaned the battery contacts and the battery-to-chassis/engine contact area?

Have you checked the wires to the starter solenoid? Mine sometimes corrode off at the connector to the solenoid.

Triumphdaytona2007
05-23-2011, 09:31 AM
mine did the same thing but it turned out the terminal had come loose from the cable at the starter, you could wiggle it and it would start but it finally quit altogether and had to re-crimp the terminal

cousindave
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I have the same issue but when the vehicle is hot. I replaced all grounds, ignition, solenoid, battery it did help alot, not as prevalent. I know I'm missing something but I also know I am also getting closer. I did find the sheathing to the brush wires worn out inside the starter. I taped it and that seemed to be the world of difference. good luck

Terrys
05-23-2011, 06:06 PM
If all your cable junctions look good, investigate the condition of the starter commutator and brush slides. These can get corrosion preventing the brushes from making firm contact with the commutator. A good firm contact keeps the commutator clean, but if the brushes hang, the contact will first start arcing, then glaze the commutator segments. Best way to clean up the commutator is in a lathe with a fine flat file, but if you don't have access to a lathe, wrap it with some fine sandpaper (not emory paper) and give it a few twists. Make sure the gaps between the segments are clean

siii8873
05-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I had an intermittant starter problem which ended up being a worn commutator. It had developed a shallow depression where the brushes ran. I think the brushes would rid up on the side not giving good contact. I carefully renewed the commutator with fine sandpaper, cleaned everything with a dielectric cleaner and it worked great ever since.

BobJones
05-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. I opened it up and it is really worn. I'm replacing with a refurb unit and will fix up the old one keeping as a spare.