PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff pinion oil seal replacement

Firemanshort
05-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Can I replace the front diff pinions oil seal without removing the actual diff? Mine is starting to dribble oil....

I looked at one of my digital manuals and it just tells me how to disassemble the whole diff - not simply replace the oil seal.

jac04
05-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, I've done it several times.

I Leak Oil
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Pretty straight forward. Assuming you have the later style housing, remove the pinion flange, pop out the old seal, put in the new seal, reinstall pinion flange. Have a good look at the sealing surface of the pinion flange. It could be worn as well.

Les Parker
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
One of these makes the job go a lot easier :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-17519-prop-shaft-socket-special-tool.aspx

gudjeon
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Series 111 diffs are moulded to have seal integral with housing. You have to climb under and do it in situ if you do want to replace seal in the axle. Series 2 and earlier have a separate seal housing that can be removed to replace the pinion seal. Have a look at the input pinion for a groove worn by the old seal. I put redi-sleeves on all of mine.:thumb-up:

siii8873
05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
redi-sleeves?

jac04
05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
^^ Timken/National's version of an SKF Speedi-sleeve.

gudjeon
05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Google is a wonderful thing.:thumb-up:

Firemanshort
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
So I finally got around to replacing the oil seal on the front diff. The old oil seal was a dried out completely mess that looked like it was contructed out of leather - I was suprised that any oil remained bhind that mess. So, this really needed to be done.

Anyway... I removed the drive shaft, I removed the big nut and banged and pried the old oil seal out. I then re-assembled and the diff makes a bad noise now when I drive. (only took it around the block)

I re-checked the instructions in the green bible. I have no idea what they are talking about in part 2 - "special tools" and "loads on pinion teeth". I do know that I did not torque the nut back on - I simply reinstalled it like an axle nut - hand tight and then pinned with the split pin.

Would a loos pinion cause a noise? Have I opened something more sinister?

I am going back to the garage this evening when the temperatures outside drop a little. I will plan to simply torque the nut to spec's and re-test drive unless someone has a better idea.

jac04
07-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Would a loos pinion cause a noise? ..... I will plan to simply torque the nut to spec's and re-test drive unless someone has a better idea.
Yes. Torque the nut to spec and you will be all set.

I Leak Oil
07-17-2011, 03:04 PM
....and don't drive it anymore until you do......

Firemanshort
07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Just came in from second test drive. Amazing - if you follow the instructions, the repair goes right. Nut is tight, noise is gone.