PDA

View Full Version : Poly bushings

msggunny
05-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Anyone here running poly versus the rubber OEM kind?

What do you think of them? Any wear issues?

Thanks.

mongoswede
05-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Poly Pro's:

look cool
usually easier to install
less play then the stock rubber

Cons
Wear out faster then the stock rubber
usually cost more then stock rubber

For a series truck I think the stuck rubber is a better way to go given that there are series trucks with 40 year old bushings that are still ok. I have run poly shock bushings in several cars and they need replacing about every 5 years with regular driving use. If you are building a race truck or performance vehicle then the poly will be a good choice.

SafeAirOne
05-24-2011, 04:07 PM
See:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6571

msggunny
05-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Poly Pro's:

look cool
usually easier to install
less play then the stock rubber

Cons
Wear out faster then the stock rubber
usually cost more then stock rubber

For a series truck I think the stuck rubber is a better way to go given that there are series trucks with 40 year old bushings that are still ok. I have run poly shock bushings in several cars and they need replacing about every 5 years with regular driving use. If you are building a race truck or performance vehicle then the poly will be a good choice.

I dont know about the longevity of the stock ones. The ones in my springs are shot and only have about 10-15K on them.

luckyjoe
05-25-2011, 07:22 AM
I think the real question is, "are current available rubber bushings nearly as good as those fitted by the factory 40+ years ago?"

I don't have any personal experience with new rubber bushings failing, but I read that they do so prematurely. For that reason I'm leaning toward greasable poly's next time around.

For add'l reference: RN Best Bushing Thread
(http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3336&highlight=poly+bushings)

TedW
05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
I, too, have the GBR greasable frame bushings. They are the cat's whiskers, IMO. Took me minutes to install (after I destroyed my DNA when burning out the old rubber ones).

Since they are greaseable I expect them to last longer than the ungreasable ones.

As others have said, I would rather replace the polys a dozen times than replace the oe bushings once.