PDA

View Full Version : which carb are you running on your 2.25 petrol?

ghettoct
05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
thinking about replacing my rochester 1 BBL carb. any thoughts on which one to get? which one not to get?

mine has some age to it and going to rebuiild it today but wanted to have a back up plan just incase..lol

thanks

i changed my jet from a 57 to a 49 the other day but may just need some tlc. seems to bog down upon accelerating, and throttle plate seems to be sticking.

73series88
05-26-2011, 10:45 AM
let the wars begin
weber
had a solex but it was shot
aaron

Triumphdaytona2007
05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
i had a zenith but it was shot, switched to weber, also keep a spare weber on the truck

gudjeon
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I put a genuine Zenith on and it worked right out of the box. Of course I could not leave well enough alone and have had to tinker with it in the 5-6 years I've had it. Electric pump, bypass filter system, etc. I put a 2.25 into a '57 ,88" (se1) so I needed the shortest carb I could find. The Zenith fit the bill at only being about 4.5" tall, and I am very familiar with them. They are as simple as a carb gets.:thumb-up:

siiirhd88
05-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I had trouble with inconsistant idle on several Zeniths, and have had to deal with the dreaded warp issue. I replaced the Zenith with a Weber but the jets would repeatedly clog, even with several in line filters. I like how the truck runs with the Weber, but I think the jets need extensions to lift them off of the bottom of the fuel bowl.

I'm running a Rochester B on the 109 now, and it has been absolutely trouble free. The best mpg was 17 mpg with the Weber and worst about 13 mpg with the Rochester and a progressive Weber 2V on a 1V adapter.

Bob

LaneRover
05-26-2011, 01:30 PM
I have a rochester on my 109 P-up and get around 16mpg with good power.

My 65 109 SW has a Webber Dual carb. I haven't checked the mileage since I figured out that the head gasket was blown between 3+4 but before that I got about 11mpg. But even with the gasket blown it would hold 60 on the highway.

I forget what my '66 88 has.

Brent

rejeep
05-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Rochester on my 109 Rover...
great idle, great power.. only complaint is height..
top of the air elbow hits the deluxe bonnet..
PO had a standard bonnet on the truck with no problem.

xsbowes
05-26-2011, 01:41 PM
zenith on my 70 IIA (sold) and Weber on the lightweight. Zenith was running like crap until I ground the faces down and rebuilt it. After that it ran real good. Weber(needs tuning) runs good also but the engine in the lightweight is stronger than what my IIA had.

siii8873
05-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I have had a few types of carbs. First rover 73' had a zenith, ran ok after rebuild / lapping faces. My 74' has a 2BBL weber, runs great, My 71' 109 PU has a 34ICH weber and runs great. Of course there are other circumstances with each, the 73 was a 7:1 with standard ignition, the 74' is a 7:1 with electronic ignition, the 109 is low mileage with an 8:1 standard ignition. Given the way the 74 runs with an engine with low compression readings tells me that it's either the 2bbl carb or electronic ignition. I have a project rover and have both a 34ich weber or zenith that I can install. I'm thinking zenith for what it's worth.

knac1234
05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Weber 34ICH.....rejetted it for altitude. Almost always starts first time with one turn of the key. No issues.

Julian

ghettoct
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
thanks for the inputs on carbs, nice to see a variety with good success. may have to get me a spare carb to have around when it comes time to rebuild.

i didnt rebuild my rochester yet, found a sticking accel linkage on pedal, took off bushing and cleaned it and oiled it and it doesnt stick anymore. in fact took it for a ride to get some fuel and it ran like a cheetah...well one with one hobbled leg but it ran 100% better than it did when i first got it. glad i ran into my problems, for it got me to find other problems just waiting to get me..lol

again thanks!

james.

i still get that *hit eating grin driving my land rover!

Andrew IIA
05-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Almost always starts first time with one turn of the key
Oh, one of those new-fangled rovers ... ;)

smukai
05-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Single barrel Weber...hopefully jetted for Colorado altitude....

martindktm
05-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Mine also have a single barrel weber. Where can I find a rebuilt kit for it?

KSMTAW
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
I've had the Zenith on my 70 IIA- Very simple and easy to work on. Fixed the warp issue and plugged a hole in the casting if I remeber right.

albersj51
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Mine also have a single barrel weber. Where can I find a rebuilt kit for it?

Pierce manifolds has them for like $16

Terrys
05-31-2011, 05:50 PM
The late Zeniths were never as good as the early original ones. The Weber 34ICH (34mm throat) is 2 mm smaller than the Zenith, and people who have heavy feet claim they don't yield the power, which is probably true. Rochesters are good when maintained. Weber 34ICH are cheap and easy to work on. My all time favorite is the Carter YC, used on M38A Jeeps I have a few that will get rebuilt some snowy winter day. I had a bunch of NOS militray surplus ones but in my enthusiasm, gave them away one by one.

jac04
05-31-2011, 07:58 PM
The Weber 34ICH (34mm throat) is 2 mm smaller than the Zenith...
Terry- The 34ICH has a main venturi size of 29mm, while the Zenith is 27mm.

Terrys
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Terry- The 34ICH has a main venturi size of 29mm, while the Zenith is 27mm.
Not an absolute measurement, but a reletive one; I set the Unisyn at a benchmark (220 cfm) and compared it to the Weber, and it dropped to just under 200 cfm. I think this is because the zenith gives a better velocity stack induction than the Weber

jac04
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
^ Interesting. I have seen other flow data (no idea how it was gathered) that states the 34ICH flows more than the Zenith:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm#carbs

Terrys
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
^ Interesting. I have seen other flow data (no idea how it was gathered) that states the 34ICH flows more than the Zenith:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm#carbs
I wouldn't take that info to the bank.

jimrr
06-02-2011, 08:05 PM
rot-chester- it's been on there for mabey 25+ years and i've never put a kit in it. prob ran 2 supertankers of gas thru it!
but after reading your posts i'd be curious what a weber could do for it.

TeriAnn
06-03-2011, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't take that info to the bank.

Neither would I but it is the best info I could find. I've known Jim from decades back and I know he tries to come up with honest accurate information but I know nothing about his test conditions or the accuracy of the air flow test equipment. But I figure it is a decent ball park comparison between carbs.

If someone has different data from air flow bench testing I would like to know about it.

And don't forget that it is not all about airflow. Jetting has a lot to do with what power you can get out of a carb for a given engine.

TeriAnn
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
My all time favorite is the Carter YC, used on M38A Jeeps

The Carter has a reputation for float level problems at high angles when off road. I've heard that a lot of gonzo drivers swap them out early on.

The Holly used on the Scout I is supposed to be pretty good and good on fuel. I was happy with my Rochester for a lot of years before I swapped engines. It just worked.

I think if I were masochistic enough to still have a 2.25L petrol engine I would be exploring an EFI conversion.