PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Sender finally arrived BUT .....

MbogoRover
05-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Well at long last the correct fuel sender arrived from British Pacific to go with the new style rear fuel tank from Rovers North. This new sender has a locking ring and gasket instead of the small bolts that hold it in place but I am still at a loss ....

1) On top of the sender there are two electrical prongs - one has a green wire running from the underside of the round disk (that is the plate of the sender/drawtube unit) to the little "gauge" box mid-way down the length of the draw tube and I would presume is the ground? The other prong does not have anything going from it to the gauge unit yet there is a small hole in the side of the guage unit that looks like it should receive the red wire (as it was in the old sender/drawtube that I had to remove and can't use on this new fuel tank as it has the six little bolts to hold it down and it can't connect with this new style fuel tank). So what am I to do? Does this new style sender (British Pacific part # 623097 (though the one they sent me looks slightly different and has a square metal guage unit that the float connects to) not need both electrical connections ? I can't imagine that is the case but one would think if it did it would come installed with the part?

2) I am unsure how exactly to fit this new sender/drawtube with the gasket and locking ring to the fuel tank? Do I first lay in the gasket, then the sender/drawtube and lastly the locking ring to hold it all in place?

It seems to have taken forever to get the right parts (after I was sent the incorrect parts) so that I can finally get this new tank installed and see if that was in fact the problem I was having.

I realize for many of you these are silly questions but I am learning, and to my own amazement actually enjoying this learning process, but I am getting a bit frustrated now so would appreciate any help and/or direction your willing to share.

Thanks, as always, in advance.

Mbogo

Lord Icon
05-27-2011, 05:18 AM
I went through this a few weeks ago...
You now have the ability to use a low fuel level alarm or light.
On a series 3 it will be located in the centre top of the dash assy. The extra prong will go to ground when the tank is almost empty... Use it or wire it uo to a transfer pump or switch so the tank tells the switch to draw from another source...
Cheers,
Kris

SafeAirOne
05-27-2011, 05:42 AM
2) I am unsure how exactly to fit this new sender/drawtube with the gasket and locking ring to the fuel tank? Do I first lay in the gasket, then the sender/drawtube and lastly the locking ring to hold it all in place?

Yes

MbogoRover
05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
I went through this a few weeks ago...
You now have the ability to use a low fuel level alarm or light.
On a series 3 it will be located in the centre top of the dash assy. The extra prong will go to ground when the tank is almost empty... Use it or wire it uo to a transfer pump or switch so the tank tells the switch to draw from another source...
Cheers,
Kris

Thank you for the reply Kris and upon closer inspection I noticed that one of the electrical prongs on the top of the "disk" does not have the corresponding prong on the underside so can I presume then that it would/should be the ground and that the green wire that came attached to the sender unit is the positive wire and that I do not need to worry about that small empty hole in the gauge unit ?

siii8873
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
not at all familiar with the arrangement but could one connection be a low fuel warning connection

MbogoRover
05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
To help, I have attached two photos of this sender / drawtube and hope it will help others to see what I am talking about so that I can correctly install this finally - thank you in advance.

Mbogo

Les Parker
05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
There should be a tag "T" Transmitter and a tag "W" Warning Lamp on the face of the sender unit.

:thumb-up:

MbogoRover
05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
There should be a tag "T" Transmitter and a tag "W" Warning Lamp on the face of the sender unit.

:thumb-up:

Hi Les,

I am looking at the sender right now and I see no markings whatsoever that would indicate a T or a W.

Is the tag that has the green wire going into it the positive and the tag that has nothing attached to it the ground ?

Terrys
05-27-2011, 05:18 PM
It doesn't appear that sender has a provision for a low fuel warning circuit.

Lord Icon
05-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Yes the prong with no underside attachment is a new ground point. Mine had 3 tabs , 1 for sender 1 for light and the plain bonded tab for a good ground. You may have an old stock one. Be grateful. The newer ones are poorly made. If you open up the sender and look at the wire resister you will be shocked at how loose they new ones are. I went through 3 brfore I got one that was worth using. The added tab for the low fuel was an added bonus..... Just try to find it in the wiring diagrams....
Maybe ... someday ,..... someone.... will post a USA spec wiring diagram that is readable, not blurry .
Good Luck,.
Kris

MbogoRover
05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmm - okay so as I am understanding it then I just use the green wired tab for the positive, the other one for the ground and am I correct that I can simply ignore that hole in the side of the sender unit (see photo above)? I would have to think fuel will get in there and could that pose a safety issue or threat ?

SafeAirOne
05-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Don't worry--None of them are liquid-tight. They all get submerged and they all operate in fuel vapor. That hole shouldn't pose a risk.

MbogoRover
05-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Very good point about none of them being water / gas tight. Well here goes nothing - I am putting this tank together because I just don't want to wait any longer - it's been long enough !

The next trick will be to get it to fit into the hole in the tank, as the two slots in thank do not quite align with the small tabs in the endges of the disk / top of this whole unit *grrrrrrrr*

Le Shed
05-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Just bought a new 109 tank from RN and was told the sender was universal and o.k for diesel. I needed a diesel sender as it has the "low level alarm switch". There are three lugs on it. Got the new unit and it didn't have the low level connection. Ordered a diesel sender from the U.K and it had all the right connections. However the cut outs in the sender top plate did not match the tabs in the tank which is annoying so had to file them to make it fit in the right orientation. The locking ring is a joke as the metal is so thin it bends before it seals.
Good luck
Bill B