PDA

View Full Version : How to change a distributor on a 2.25 petrol. How to instructions.

stomper
05-29-2011, 06:44 AM
I couldn't find anything on the forum that explained how to replace the distributor, so I thought I would share the steps of installation for anyone who may need this as a reference in the future.

Swapping out a distributor is simple! Don't be afraid of it if you have never done it before. I took my time, and it only took about an hour. I could do it in 15 minutes now that I know what I am doing. Youtube and other sites will show distributor replacement for other engines, but I could not find any instructions on how to do this on a 2.25 petrol engine in the green bible, or online. So, here are the steps for anyone who may not know.

Step 1: Take the air cleaner out, and remove the distributor cap to mark the position of the rotor.

Step 2: Undo the nut on the distributor hold down plate (7/16) and remove the washer and lock washer.

Step 3: lift the old distributor out, and slide the new one in. the keyway makes it almost impossible to fit it incorrectly, unlike other distributors that have a gear at the bottom, and can be misalligned by a couple of degrees.

Step 3: replace the washers and the 7/16 nut onto the distributor hold down plate, and loosen the distributor clamp that allows it to rotate the distributor to set the timing.

Step 4: Allign the vacuum advance unit to roughly the same position it was on the old distributor before you pulled it out, and switch the spark plug wires over from the old distributor cap to the new one.

Step 5: Start the engine and adjust the timing using your preferred method, and tighten up the distributor clamp.

Step 6: Replace the air cleaner, and stand back and enjoy a cold one while you marvel at how beautiful the engine purrs!

I Leak Oil
05-29-2011, 06:52 AM
In addition, I've always found it best to turn the motor to TDC on cylinder #1, compression stroke, before marking or taking anything apart. That way, if anything goes wrong, you have a point of reference to get back to.

73series88
05-30-2011, 01:54 AM
yep
so you have a point of reference
aaron