PDA

View Full Version : Solex leaking and sucking through the shaft

KSMTAW
05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Currently, on my 65 IIA, the Solex is sucking air when running and leaking gas when shut off by the shaft.

Has anybody had any luck rebushing the shaft on a Solex?

If I can't fix the leaking shaft, I am contemplating replacing the Solex with a Rochester for 300.00. I can't se spending 425.00 on a rebuilt Solex.

Any ideas?
Thank you

Momo
05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Raciest thread title ever on this forum... but anyway, swap for a rochester, but don't pay $300. You should be able to find a good carb and a rebuild kit for less than $100.

bkreutz
05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Check around your area for a carb shop that works on British cars, SU's and Strombergs needed rebushing often so that shop can probably handle your carb as well. (Years ago when I first started working on cars I actually bought the tools to rebush SU shafts because I did them so often.)

KSMTAW
06-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys. I had bushings made and installed at a local machine shop. Now lets see if I can get it back together and running correct.

KSMTAW
06-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Had shaft hole bushings made at a machine shop- cleaned the enitre thing and it runs great now. No more fuel leaking.

The rebuild Kit I bought from Rovers North did nothing for me. I wasted 35 dollars and 15 dollars on shipping for a bag a brass that does not fit. Called Rovers North to inquire and Les said, "It should fit". Thanks.

Oh Well- at least my Rover is running very well now.