PDA

View Full Version : feul problem I think

siii8873
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
my 2.25 petrol engine is giving me a little grief. About a week ago when I was accelerating the engine lost power for a few seconds and then continued along fine. I have had it in the garage for a few days doing some maint. Went to start it for a test drive and it would not start. Cranked fine just wouldn't fire. Poured a little gas in the carb and it started ran a bit and stalled. Did it again same thing. Finally started and idled fine. Started down the road and it will not accelerate, same loss of power, bucking. Runs at steady speed/idles just fine.
The carb is a weber 34ICH, are these the symptoms for a dirty weber?

bkreutz
06-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I'd replace the condenser before diving into the fuel system. Been bitten by this a couple of times over the years.

Lord Icon
06-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Yup, me too see post under overheating.
The local guy "tuned " the carb and adjusted the mix valve, the screw on the back side ( not the idle screw) and it acts like it is running out of gas if I ask for power but will idle fine... He found the screw at 1/2 a turn out. Idles great now, just can't drive anywhere...

Any body got a clue?
:eek:

TeriAnn
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Fuel problems and ignition system problems have interchangeable symptoms.

Pull a spark plug & check the intensity of your spark before spending any real time on the fuel system.

If you have a good hot spark, swap out the fuel filter then continue to trouble shoot. This would be a good time to have a fuel pressure gauge connected just before your carb. Lets you know that you are getting proper fuel pressure.

Webers have the main jet at the bottom of the fuel bowl so they can get clogged easily. Check it after the spark & fuel filter.

Good luck

siii8873
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
oddly enough the problem has gone away (temporarily I'm sure)
Took truck for a ride last night and it ran well no problems. Only thing I did was remove the distributor cap so I could identify the points I needed to order to do an ignition tune up.
Did loose my turn signals and headlamps in the process, gotta love these old trucks.

siii8873
06-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Very confident that this problem is solved. I did a full tune up on the truck, plugs, points, condenser, Cap & wires. Also replaced the fuel pump with a rebuilt spare. The truck sat for about 4 days (did some other unrelated maint also) and started right up. Have driven it a number of times and no hesitation or starting issues. Actually can tell the difference in operation, all slight hesitation when accelerating gone, generally running very good.
My guess is that this was a fuel pump problem.