PDA

View Full Version : real world HP2.25 numbers

rejeep
06-04-2011, 09:06 AM
i dont know if Im day dreaming or really being serious right now..
but I have already replaced 2/3rds of my drivetrain with rebuilt parts and I am looking/thinking/planning on doing the engine this fall/winter..

not looking for the diesel/petrol debate... but rather real world experience..

I have seen people selling HP versions of the 2.25 gas motor..
Specifically the Turner one..
anybody have any experience with these motors in their rigs?
I cant seem to find any numbers on their site..

TeriAnn
06-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I tend to think that power numbers thrown out by engine rebuilders are often more wishful thinking that real world vehicle dyno numbers. Kinda like if you go through a Summit racing catalogue and add up all the HP gains you see advertised for parts. You could easily end up with a 1000 HP small block V8 if you added all the paper gains up.

If you can swing it and think diesel is OK, you can't beat a 200 or 300tdi and still have an "easy" upgrade.

If you want to stay petrol, a fresh rebuilt 2.5L engine with a head shaved to 9:1 is the best you are going to get. Cubic inches & compression is where it is at across the RPM range. Any of the 2.25L upgrades is just trying to reach where the stock 2.5L engine is.

Your local automotive machine shop can do everything Turner does for less and you can get things fixed if something is not right.

If I were going to buy an overseas rebuilt engine, personally I would turn to Automotive Component Remanufacturing Ltd. (ACR).

This of course assumes you want to stay with a LR four cylinder engine.

There are American options with cheaper easy to source parts but you need to upgrade the drive train :D

jac04
06-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm running a Turner 2.25 HP engine in my Lightweight. IIRC, it is supposed to have about 100 horsepower. I can tell you that it feels quite peppy, but that doesn't mean much. It seems to have a little more power than my IIA, which had a freshly rebuilt 2.25 with 8:1 head and new Weber 34ICH carb (same carb I'm running on the Turner engine).

solihull109
06-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I tend to think that power numbers thrown out by engine rebuilders are often more wishful thinking that real world vehicle dyno numbers. Kinda like if you go through a Summit racing catalogue and add up all the HP gains you see advertised for parts. You could easily end up with a 1000 HP small block V8 if you added all the paper gains up.

If you can swing it and think diesel is OK, you can't beat a 200 or 300tdi and still have an "easy" upgrade.

If you want to stay petrol, a fresh rebuilt 2.5L engine with a head shaved to 9:1 is the best you are going to get. Cubic inches & compression is where it is at across the RPM range. Any of the 2.25L upgrades is just trying to reach where the stock 2.5L engine is.

Your local automotive machine shop can do everything Turner does for less and you can get things fixed if something is not right.

If I were going to buy an overseas rebuilt engine, personally I would turn to Automotive Component Remanufacturing Ltd. (ACR).

This of course assumes you want to stay with a LR four cylinder engine.

There are American options with cheaper easy to source parts but you need to upgrade the drive train :D

Very sound advise. Just for the heck of it, we tried to "hot rod" a Willys F head motor....shaved almost a full 1/8th of an inch off the head...yes, you read that right. Ported and polished the head, and matched the exhaust ports etc.....at the end of the day it was "peppy", but did not have the * wow * factor. However, unless you're about to tear into a different cam, and start down that path...the gains are not worth the time and money invested when you could just start with a 2.5 .
If you have time and money on your hands and nothing else to do, then have at it. Otherwise I don't think you'll be pleased with the results. Just my input though.:)

gudjeon
06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I like older motors the way they are for the low end torque. That is more useful to me for crawling around the boonies. If I want HP, I would have kept the 73' FORD f2504x4 with the 428. That is how all the old English stuff lasted so long as it is slightly underpowered.

Power numbers are quoted by manufacturers and people use them super liberally like quoting reloading velocities, puffing them up to make themselves feel better.

I Leak Oil
06-05-2011, 05:47 PM
A friend of mine, and a member here, had a Turner in his 109" and was quite happy with it's performance. It sure beat the pants off my clapped out 2.25 but that's not saying much. He bought the truck with the engine already in it so I doubt he has any input as to if it was worth it or not. My personal opinion is that when it comes to rover 2.25's it's all a matter of perspective. They're never going to "light em' up" so to speak...Kinda like polishing a turd.

LR Max
06-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Running .030 over pistons, ACR cam, Rochester carb and I had a machine shop re-work my cylinder head.

Truck cruises the highway without any issue. I can run 70 mph, but she loves 60-ish.

I had my cylinder head re-worked first and noticed...meh, a touch more. Noticed significant gain with the Rochester but the .030 and ACR cam REALLY gave me good power.

No comment on MPG, though :rolleyes: