PDA

View Full Version : removing the bulkhead?

kwd509
06-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I continue the slow & sometimes methodical process of disassembling my 1968 88". I am gaining skills little by little. The rover is essentially bare now with the exception of the bulkhead which needs to go for some welding repairs (relatively minor). I need help with sequencing and perhaps a little encouragement.

The body removal was mainly to access brakes lines and to have ready access to components I suspect will need replacement (like the whole brake system). While I'm there I may as well clean up the chassis and put a coat of paint on.. provides a wide open space now for the angle grinder fitted with a wire wheel/brush.

The project is to be completed with engine, transmission and axles 'in situ'. As I am already at my limit of skills, time, money and tools. So I have a fair amount of stuff to work around.

Correct me if I am wrong.....:
Current attention should go to getting the bulkhead off and sent to the welder for repair NOW because.....that is the largest single step in preparing to reassemble the rig and while it is off, it will provide me with the extra space to work on the frame......

My reluctance to do what is based on being intimidated:
a- removing the steering column and disassembling the tangle of mouse eaten wires in the dash both seem daunting.
b) If I add to that the numerous and related components fixed to the engine side of the firewall it is even more intimidating ( fuel filters, electrical components, throttle linkage supports, clutch and brake lines).

I suspect this needs to be a priority.
If you agree and can offer either technical or moral encouragement as to how to proceed that would be great.

Also, After sitting for 30 years, in addition to the brakes, will I also need to rebuild hub bearings and seals? Should the hubs be done first to minimize risk of fouling the new brake pads?

So I imagine proceeding as follows: 1- removing firewall and sending for repair, 2- repairing hubs and seals, 3- redoing breaks and & 4- intermittent stints with the angle grinder when I want easy (but filthy)work.

If I do these things over the next 3-4 months I could be in a position to paint and reassemble the beast.

That would allow me to then address transmission and clutch issues with a vehicle that I could actually start and run (on repair of fuel tank).

Does this make sense?

bkreutz
06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Take a lot of pictures as you disassemble, when you think you have enough pictures, take some more. You mentioned the rats nest of wiring, that should be impetus enough to replace that now before it causes problems (and it will). Think before you do and remember someone put this together before you so you can take it apart and put it back together, no magic involved. Have fun.

LaneRover
06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I totally agree with take lots of pictures and label and bag anything you can. It will at least tell you where something was how it was attached and thus how many new ones you should need.

stonefox
06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I couldn't agree more with Lane and Gale.
Pictures ,Pictures ,Pictures
Label wires as you disassemble each, were it goes and what it does.Replace harness if $$ is possible
Label nuts in indiviual baggies
Its not rocket surgery :D Hey I did it with a third grade edgamakayshun.
When you are done ,you will understand the inner workings of your truck and feel much more confident about fixing it when it brakes.
I dont know me a whole lot about Rovers ,but I'd gladly share what little I know with someone willing to try and learn.
Do you have a shop manual ?..... If you dont that should be your first purchase.
Good luck and have fun.:thumb-up:

JackIIA
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
One last thought, if you're like most people you're shooting with a digital camera and uploading to a computer. Back that sucker up.

I too took more than enough pics of my truck before teardown, from every possible angle. I lost them with my hard drive crash.

So back it up for posterity.
:thumb-up:

kwd509
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
One last thought, if you're like most people you're shooting with a digital camera and uploading to a computer. Back that sucker up.

I too took more than enough pics of my truck before teardown, from every possible angle. I lost them with my hard drive crash.

So back it up for posterity.
:thumb-up:
Loss of photos would be a disaster....full back-up tomorrow. And while I almost always take lots of photos, in the case of the dash wiring, it is not necessary. The whole thing was a terrific mess of mouse eaten wires and shredded insulation. On this particular item I';m gonna have to do w/o useful pictures. Have a feeling a wiring harness is in my future.

Next comes the steering column.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Terrys
06-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Not to try and discourage you from removing the bulkhead, nut have you completely ruled out a) having the welder come to you, or b) beg, borrow or steal a trailer and take the whole truck to the welder.
One of these options could eliminate the need for bulkhead realignment, and the frustrations that go with wiring.

kwd509
06-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Not to try and discourage you from removing the bulkhead, nut have you completely ruled out a) having the welder come to you, or b) beg, borrow or steal a trailer and take the whole truck to the welder.
One of these options could eliminate the need for bulkhead realignment, and the frustrations that go with wiring.

As for wiring, there is no way it could be salvaged......and I assume that a new wiring harness will be vastly easier to deal with. I periodically get overwhelmed by the scope of a rebuild, but the feeling I got from looking at the back side of the dash was most 'memorable'.

But your idea of bringing the welder to the rover is interesting. I haven't considered that in a while. It would dramatically simplify some aspects but would also mean a full reconditioning of the bulkhead (cleaning and painting) would wait a few more decades (till my son gets the truck). I had figured I would just bite the bullet.

Realigning the bulkhead........ A pita?

Terrys
06-07-2011, 07:52 AM
It can be. Everything is related, adjust one thing, and something else goes out of adjustment.

stonefox
06-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I had fears , or should I say nightmares that my bulkhead would be totally teaked out of true after the galvy dip.And was also warned that it might be a bear to get it true again.I must of been lucky because it went back together fairly easy.One thing I found was I put everything together "losse" ,when It all looked like it was going together okay I tightened stuff up .Now dont get me wrong ,my truck is not perefectly true anywere nor is it anywere near a show truck.But if you take your time I think a little chase around should get it pretty close. If you do decide to take it apart,which you probably want to if you are looking at fixing it for the long term ,Keep track of were shims are and how many.
It' s the same truck it should go back together with out too much fuss.Besides if the harness is toast,thats half of the battle and you have to do that anyway.Its easier to weld ,grind ,clean ,paint and just move around in general when its off the truck.