PDA

View Full Version : Angled Steering Revisted

JackIIA
06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Some may remember I posted here awhile ago with a problem concerning my steering assembly. Specifically, that the angle at which it turns 'inward' toward the center of the truck was too extreme. (Thanks for the advice and ideas before.) I turned to other things while I tried to think this problem through, and now I'm back to it.

I've attached a pic to make clearer just what the issue it. But in short, I can line up all the attachment points between steering box, frame, and bulkhead (A,B,C,D in the photo), but then my steering is WAY skewed.

Or, I can line up the steering to a slight angle (as I believe it should be) and then the various attachment points between bulkhead and steering no longer line up.

My solution is start drilling new holes in the bulkhead, which I really hate to do. Unless there is something I'm missing??

What is throwing me off is that if this was an issue with my welding, I wouldn't expect everything to 'slide' naturally into place (stiffner brackets to bulkhead, bulkhead doorposts to frame, shim points to steering box, etc.)

Time to start drilling?

leafsprung
06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Is the panel to which the steering gear bolts a new replacement?

-Ike

JackIIA
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey Ike,

Yes, store bought, not hand made by me.

I remember from your bulkhead write up (which I unfortunately found after doing my own), that you had to trim down some of the toe box pieces b/c they weren't an exact fit.

I bought the toe box pieces from RN.

leafsprung
06-07-2011, 12:42 PM
You will need to drill to fit, the holes are not quite in the same place as the originals

kwd509
06-07-2011, 01:48 PM
As I am preparing to remove bulkhead for welding repairs this really interests me. A small hole under accelerator and deteriorated metal under pedal towers are modest. Accordingly, I believe I have the the options of selective surgical replacement, or replacement of the toe box using a fabricated component.

Am I correct in understanding that the installed fabricated component may require some refitting to get steering column on right?

Perhaps working with the metal that is there is a better option. Comments/thoughts?

siii8873
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I have never done this, but planning to in near future. My plan is to fabricate an alingment jig for orientating all these attachment points before removing rusted parts to align them in the correct place when welding the new parts in place.

martindktm
06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
On mine I was not able to put back the aluminum shims and had to pry off pretty hard to line up the holes. I bet im going to have nice surprises when I will try to line up the fenders or the doors...

JackIIA
06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Ike - Thanks. Was hoping to avoid that, but sounds like it isn't an option.

KW - go to pangolin4x4 and read the bulkhead write-up. it will save you some pain. but short answer is cut as little metal as possible and do it in stages to reduce risk of mistakes. And definitely don't rely on the aftermarket parts in terms of fit or holes.

a jig is a great idea. if your frame is in good shape, i'd do the work right on that. mine was toast (outrigger attachment points rusted away to nubs, no bottom on the door posts) so I had to build a jig. I believe Ike has a simple angle iron jig somewhere on his site.

JackIIA
06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Corrected steering is now turning inward (relative to the bulkhead) by 5 degrees - a big improvement and not particularly noticeable.

Anyone know if 5 degrees is about right for the inward angle?