PDA

View Full Version : A few quick suspension questions

Cutter
06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I replaced suspension bushings, and have a few questions. On a short test drive things seem good, but I want to double check things.

First Question- I swapped my back springs (parabolics) to try to correct a tilt in the truck (success). I didn't follow the bible's instructions for setting the spring height in the rear prior to tightening the shackles- Easy enough to go back and do that now, my question is the dimension listed in the procedure for the 109 the same with parabolics?

Second question- I have a question on the front shackle orientation- the outer shackle has a small offset on one side of one hole. The inner has a larger spacer that faces the spring, and I assumed that the outer also faces the spring? Just looking for confirmation, I'm fairly certain it does but want to double check. My concern is my steering stops seem to need adjustment, and I'm not sure why.

Thanks!

I Leak Oil
06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
1) You don't set the springs to a specific dimension. You tighten the bolts and nuts to a specific torque. Loosen the nuts and shackle bolts. Take drive around the block. With the truck on level ground torque the bolts and nuts to spec. If you try to set a specific height you'll end up preloading the bushings and they won't last very long.

2) Yes, the spacers on the shackles go on the spring end and they face each other.

Cutter
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Hmm Ok, I need to re-read it, I thought it said compress the shocks/axle to a particular distance range between the chassis and the axle, then tighten the shackles. Perhaps it is the same thing as that is the distance that would exist when the truck is at rest on the springs versus up on a lift.

Thanks for the confirmation on the front shackles as well, I knew I wasn't crazy, still not sure why the turning stops would be off. I'll reset it and move onto the next project

SafeAirOne
06-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Hmm Ok, I need to re-read it, I thought it said compress the shocks/axle to a particular distance range between the chassis and the axle, then tighten the shackles.

That's pretty much the way the SIII bible reads, IIRC...

I Leak Oil
06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
The problem with that procedure is it doesn't account for differences in spring rate(it assumes and exact rate) or actual vehicle weight and distribution. Setting the vehicle on level ground and torquing the fasters accounts for both of those factors.