PDA

View Full Version : Road trip or ship?

Billy5
06-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Hello again, need some input. I am buying a 1969 2a, in fantastic shape. The problem is, it is 700 miles away from me. The seller has been extremely patient with me, for which I am grateful. Now, I am having trouble securing a shipper in a timely fashion. So I have to fly out to pay for, and verify the truck. What are your thoughts on then driving this back the 700 miles home? It has overdrive, and like I said, it is in great shape. I must add that, this is my first rover as well. Any encouragement or discouragement greatly appreciated.:D

rejeep
06-08-2011, 07:45 AM
where to where.. I have a couple guys I use

I Leak Oil
06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
You won't hava any good stories to tell if you have it shipped....:D

Billy5
06-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Coming from Fort Wayne Indiana, to Greenport Long Island New york. I agree, there would be no good stories to tell..but then again..maybe there will..:D

Billy5
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
So it is going to be road trip! From Indiana to New York..am I crazy?:D

badvibes
06-09-2011, 01:19 AM
So it is going to be road trip! From Indiana to New York..am I crazy?:D

Yes. But have fun anyway. A buddy and I drove his newly purchased '64 2A from Ft Leonard Wood, Mo to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Google maps says 919 miles. We took a tool box and a change of clothes. Had to deal with a flat tire situation without a jack but that was the worst problem we had. Met some funny folks in some funny places on the road back. Everyone will want to know what you're driving and will ask all sorts of questions. Settle back, slow down, enjoy the ride.

Jeff

By the way Scott, my buddy just got back from a 3100 mile loop thru the west in his '68 Marshall ambulance. A forgotten fill plug, a thrown belt, and having to re-lube his speedo cable were the minor problems he had to deal with. We met up in Utah on his way home and wheeled the snot out of the ambi in the Maze district of Canyonlands. At our last campsite at Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument we snapped a short side axle backing the ambi onto a rock to level it. Pulled the broken bits that evening. Next day buttoned evrything up, used a wine cork to plug the hole in the center of the drive flange, and drove her home on front wheel drive. I posted the trip on the sightings/camping forum.

meatblanket
06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I drove my '68 IIa from Ottawa ON to Denver when I bought it, and my '55 86 from New Jersey to Denver.

Both trips were fun.:D

badvibes
06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I drove my '68 IIa from Ottawa ON to Denver when I bought it, and my '55 86 from New Jersey to Denver.

Both trips were fun.:D

Nice! Either of those trips is @ 1700 miles. :thumb-up:

Les Parker
06-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Some years ago, I drove an Airportable from VT. to Prescott, AZ in 4 days.
Saw some amazing visages and met some very interesting people.
Take your time and check all levels etc. before you set of and every night also. Especially the overdrive !

All the best,

:thumb-up:

LR Max
06-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Road Trip. There is no better way to familiarize yourself with a series than 3 days in the saddle.

Bring a rain coat, ear plugs, noise cancelling earphones+music device (trust me on this, expecially with that overdrive), a raincoat, tire gauge, a piece of canvas (to lay on while you look under the truck), some rope, a roll of electrical tape and a 3/4" wrench (to remove the doortops). As far as I'm concerned this is all you need.

I also recommend an awesome hat, some leather gloves to wear and sunglasses. If you enjoy a good cigar, I recommend you bring 20 of them.

If the engine is strong, the overdrive will be great. If not, then it'll be useful for the downhills. Good luck.

Billy5
06-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Ok update. A week or so away. In case anyone was interested in knowing, I am buying a members truck. If you look under series for sale, I am buying the 1969 bugeye listed there if you would like to check it out. I think it is capable of doing the trip, but if you guys think otherwise let me know. I am flying out there July 6. Any parts I should bring besides oil, antifreeze, and gear oil? The seller thinks I am nuts. But the only thing that worries me is..the ignition system. Of all things! I have to laugh, but I dont know a damn thing about points. I can weld, paint, take things apart and put them back, but I am clueless about a simple system.:o:eek:

badvibes
06-27-2011, 07:12 AM
I'd take a good socket set, screwdrivers and wrench set. I wouldn't haul fluids/oil with me on the way out to pick the truck up, you can get that stuff on that end when you get there. Check the diffs, swivel balls, transmission and transfer case for fluids levels. Overdrive too if it has one. Check or change the engine oil. Check the brake/clutch resorvoir level. Check the radiator level. If that's all good and the brakes are working, the truck runs and steers, none of the magic smoke is leaking out, then I'd hit the road. Make sure you have a spare, lug wrench and jack also before you hit the road.

The few parts I'd like to have with me on the road would be points, condenser and maybe a rotor. I've burned points during drives of a few hundred miles and having a fresh set of points got me running right again. But if you're not comfortable with that stuff or don't have them available then it is what it is. Earplugs are optional. Let us know how it goes.

Jeff