PDA

View Full Version : 71 109 2.25 trouble

siii8873
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm having an intermittent problem with starting my 109. If I drive it every day it fires right up no problem. If it sits for around 2 days it won't start. Cranks over fine just won't fire. If I pour a little fuel in carb it will start and run then stall. If I do this about three times it will start and run fine. Shut it off starts right back up. I am going to do an ignition system tune up this weekend, bit this really seems like something fuel related. The tune up should tell me if it is.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bob

jac04
06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Bob- What happens if you prime the fuel pump by hand before trying to start it? My thought is that the one-way valves in the fuel pump may be allowing fuel to drain back into the tank.

siii8873
06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Jeff,
that's a good idea and makes sense giving the symtoms. I'll try that.
See you took your truct to the britsh by the sea event. Second place, I'd like to see that first place vehicle.

siii8873
06-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I worked on the problem today time will tell. Replaced plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap, and fuel pump. Checked valve clearances, set points. Runs so smooth left timing alone. The only thing I saw that was suspect is that the condenser connection was poor.
I did have one issue with a part. The rotor I bought did not fit on the distributor shaft?? had to use the old one. Anyone else have this problem?
Time will tell if it did anything to correct the problem of not starting after setting a few days. I guess I'll have to let it sit and not drive it to find out.