X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwd509
    1st Gear
    • Aug 2010

The frame looks great as it is

The rover I'm working on saw heavy farm work for about 16 years and then sat for 30 years in a field in Tennessee. Frame has some dings from work but very little rust as it has never been exposed to road salt. The only frame corrosion is just a small spot under the battery tray and a small crack in reinforcement on the inside of the rear crossmember. Otherwise it is remarkably solid (only the bulkhead shows some signs of age). Anglegrinder with wire brush removes dirt and surface rust revealling 'beautiful steel and patina' on frame and axles..........

If this vehicle is now to see periodic work in woodlot pulling trailers of firewood in summer and the occasional trip to town, but is to never, never be driven on road salt, is it to crazy to consider not painting the frame? This is a new thought that arrises as I clean the frame and marvel at it's condition. I am just taken with the quality of the machine as it exists now. Want to preserve it without giving it a facelift. Is that a crazy idea?
  • crankin
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kwd509
    The rover I'm working on saw heavy farm work for about 16 years and then sat for 30 years in a field in Tennessee. Frame has some dings from work but very little rust as it has never been exposed to road salt. The only frame corrosion is just a small spot under the battery tray and a small crack in reinforcement on the inside of the rear crossmember. Otherwise it is remarkably solid (only the bulkhead shows some signs of age). Anglegrinder with wire brush removes dirt and surface rust revealling 'beautiful steel and patina' on frame and axles..........

If this vehicle is now to see periodic work in woodlot pulling trailers of firewood in summer and the occasional trip to town, but is to never, never be driven on road salt, is it to crazy to consider not painting the frame? This is a new thought that arrises as I clean the frame and marvel at it's condition. I am just taken with the quality of the machine as it exists now. Want to preserve it without giving it a facelift. Is that a crazy idea?
    Tennessee has magic dirt and purifying qualities in the water. Those two things create vitamin enhanced super foods that give the men there great stamina and huge "spanners"...and remarkable white teeth. Paint the frame.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• stomper
      5th Gear
      • Apr 2007

I'd say you are crazy. at least put a coat of primer and a coat of chasis pain back on the frame. Rus comes from moisture coming in contact with the exposed steel. That can happen from wet mud, rain splashing from the tires, and even humid air. While this is not a corrosive as salt, I think you are asking for disaster. You have it all pulled apart, why would you want to do a mediocure job now? My guess is the work of painting it sounds daunting, and you want to take the easy way out. You signed up for this ride, now see it all the way through I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm just calling it how I see it.
      Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• kwd509
        1st Gear
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by stomper
        I'd say you are crazy. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm just calling it how I see it.
        I already have the POR 15 and chassis paint on hand, and the cleaning of the frame is going more easily than I expected. I was just taken by the ' beauty' of unadorned steel. If paint is what is needed to get this thing through the next 50 years I will gladly do (and others have indeed agreed w your position). I simply don't think it will have the same character.

Yes, I signed up for this and will see it through- as evidence- see attached photos of: new shed. (Wife wanted a garage. I wanted shed for rover. We are all happy). and frame cleaning in process.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
          Overdrive
          • Apr 2008

The chassis looks in great shape on the outside. You might have a peek (or feel) of the inside as that's where it's more likely to be corroding and flaking off in layers, espedially at the chassis and outrigger low points.

I think that your admiration of the beauty of the unadorned steel today will turn into your shock and horror of of the ugliness of the rust-adorned steel a few years from now.
          --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
          (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• 60dzl
            Low Range
            • Dec 2010

If you like the look, you could always clear coat it

Comment

• Firemanshort
              2nd Gear
              • Nov 2006

Paint the frame.

Put doors on the shed.

(Jealous of both )
              Firemanshort
              1980 Stage One
              (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• kwd509
                1st Gear
                • Aug 2010

1-Everyone. Says paint it...... Temporary insanity now back in check (temporally).
                2- will. Check frame internal and will likely need some coating. Oil undercoat or waxy?

3- doors on shed to be added at a future date........

Comment

• albersj51
                  5th Gear
                  • May 2010

If youre pulling the entire thing, why not galvanize it and thebulkhead? Probably comparable in cost compared to paint and waxoyl, better protection and it looks nice.

Comment

• kwd509
                    1st Gear
                    • Aug 2010

pulling the entire thing

I hadn't intended to remove engine and gearbox, etc. Will work around them... but furthermore, as the repair to the bulkhead is pretty minimal I have had a recent recommendation that I not remove the bulkhead and that the welding repairs be done with it in place. That is a new idea to me. but will likely have a welder come take a look.

This is all done within a context. When I first reclaimed this rover I joked it might end up a a chicken coop, simply a sentimental reminder of the first vehicle I l drove. Then it was to become a wood truck. and the project keeps expanding.
                    but
                    Galvanizing the frame has not come onto the radar.

Comment

• SeriesShorty
                      2nd Gear
                      • Sep 2008

I wish I could have found a great old Rover sitting in the field in TN when I lived there. Oh yeah, and I want your shed!
                      1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
                      1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Comment

Working...