PDA

View Full Version : Booster solution ????replacement options?

rastaman
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I have finally tracked down the source of my brake problems, Its the booster unit..(I think). I removed the M/C from the booster, when ever the engine is started the booster push rod is extended. It appears that the control valve is not allowing equalizing vacuum. to the rear of the diaphragm. therefore keeping the M/C depressed.

Has any one ever repaired these boosters, or what are the replacement alternatives..

Thanks

SafeAirOne
06-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Not sure what your servo issue is, but there's a MINOR servo overhaul kit out there. P/N 18G8951L. Our host lists this kit for $30.72.

Otherwise, they list new ProLine servos for $158, though you've got to make sure they'll fit your MC (or rather vise versa).

rastaman
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Not sure what your servo issue is, but there's a MINOR servo overhaul kit out there. P/N 18G8951L. Our host lists this kit for $30.72.

Otherwise, they list new ProLine servos for $158, though you've got to make sure they'll fit your MC (or rather vise versa).

Hummm, I called today and was quoted $185...was hoping for less, anyone has a good used one in the garage?

The kit wont help me, and after closer examination I dont think I could open it up anyway.

bkreutz
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Looking at your initial description, you had the MC off, then started the engine and the pushrod moved forward. Have you checked the adjustment of the pushrod from the pedal to the backside of the booster? Not sure of how Rover does it(I've never had to work on mine), but I've seen this on other vehicles where that rod adjustment is too long and the booster thinks the brakes are being applied so it dutifully applies boost like it's supposed to. Have you had the pedal off before all this started happening?

rastaman
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Looking at your initial description, you had the MC off, then started the engine and the pushrod moved forward. Have you checked the adjustment of the pushrod from the pedal to the backside of the booster? Not sure of how Rover does it(I've never had to work on mine), but I've seen this on other vehicles where that rod adjustment is too long and the booster thinks the brakes are being applied so it dutifully applies boost like it's supposed to. Have you had the pedal off before all this started happening?

The push rod moves all the way forward, as a mater of fact I removed the booster from the pedal assembly and just hooked up the vacuum line to it and the same thing happens. I think that the control valve in the back of the booster is allowing air in, thus there is only vacuum on the front of the diaphragm.