PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust studs

SeriesShorty
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Everytime I have to undo the downpipe from the exhaust manifold, the most rearward stud always comes out. The first time it happened I removed the manifold and took it to a machine shop to get a it cleaned up and get all new studs in.

When I removed the downpipe a few months ago to work on my gearbox, low and behold that damn rear stud came out again. I haven't mastered getting the perfect angle when undoing the bolt so it binds up just enough to yank the stud out.

I have no interest in removing the manifold again to put a new stud in. Any suggestions on how to get a new one back in and how to keep the damn thing in???

Thanks!

luckyjoe
06-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd say if the stud pulls out and doesn't break-off, you are well ahead in the game! Seriously though, generously lube it up with anti-seize and double-nut it back in...

scatterling
06-10-2011, 03:42 PM
PM sent.

JimCT
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Use brass nuts on the studs so they release and not the stud

SafeAirOne
06-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Use brass nuts on the studs so they release and not the stud

I wholehartedly concur with the use of brass nuts on the manifold and downpipe fixings. They're not too expensive and are available at every decent auto parts store. You'll be glad you did!

luckyjoe
06-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I wholehartedly concur with the use of brass nuts...

Me too!!! I also double nut them and this seems to prevent the single nut from loosening...

SafeAirOne
06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Me too!!! I also double nut them and this seems to prevent the single nut from loosening...

Hadn't had any loosening issues using brass nuts and steel lock washers (and that's on my shaking, rattle-y 2.5 diesel).

Donnie
06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Everytime I have to undo the downpipe from the exhaust manifold, the most rearward stud always comes out. The first time it happened I removed the manifold and took it to a machine shop to get a it cleaned up and get all new studs in.

When I removed the downpipe a few months ago to work on my gearbox, low and behold that damn rear stud came out again. I haven't mastered getting the perfect angle when undoing the bolt so it binds up just enough to yank the stud out.

I have no interest in removing the manifold again to put a new stud in. Any suggestions on how to get a new one back in and how to keep the damn thing in???

Thanks!
I agree with brass nut's....also use never seize, & double nut or triple nut if U have to.
The first nut needs to be tightened to specs..........the other 1 or 2 nuts just protect the threads from rusting..All this doesn't matter if U R using stainless studs,,

SeriesShorty
06-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Well crap, the manifold is gonna have to come off. I put the new stud back in and gently reinstalled my brass nuts. Within 2 minutes of the engine idling, it literally shat the entire stud out onto the pavement.

But at least the gearbox is in and it moved under it's own power. :D

siiirhd88
06-13-2011, 10:35 AM
In a pinch I have run a longer bolt thru the manifold stud hole and attached a nut and washer on the top side to hold it in place. If you get the right bolt you could even use your brass nut for easier removal....

Bob

scatterling
06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
exhausts are way overrated anyway :p The most important thing is that your truck moved!! Congrats!

JimCT
06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
drop the exhaust and install heli-coils