PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal arm light bulb ?

mrdoiron
06-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Gents,
I had the turn signals stop working on my 69 bug-eye.
Can't believe this has never failed on me up until now frankly...as pretty much everything else has !

After a brief call with our host site expects at RN, I got it down to the bi-metallic relay/can. Found 2 of them behind the dash, one for 4 way, and the other for the indicator...as the 4 way flashers did continue to work fine. So I switched them so my indicators work until I get a replacement - figured a little more important for the signal flashers than 4-way ...

When talking to the RN gents, I realized something I wasn't aware of, when he asked me if the small light at the base of the turn signal arm (in the cast housing) flashes when I turn the indicator arm - to which I responded - what light ? I hadn't even realized there was a light there, as it hadn't ever worked since I got the vehicle, I never even noticed the small circular window...which was also nicely gummed up with dirt anyway, to me it looked like a small recessed screw hole.

In fact, not having a dash light to remind me that I left the bloody indicator on half the day (to the dismay of many behind me), I had wired the indicator wires into my 4 way flasher light last year just to get a visual inside the vehicle that the turn signal is still on...

Soooo, much wiser now, I need to go get another 2-prong buss flasher relay, AND also need to find one these very small bulbs that mounts in the turn signal arm housing...the bulb says on it "12v 2-2W" it appears.

Anyone know if that is hard to find anywhere ??

thanks, mike

mrdoiron
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Gents,
I had the turn signals stop working ....

Sorry, "And Ladies"

my bad TeriAnn...!

Les Parker
06-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Hello there,

# 537025 Bulb is No Longer Avail from Landrover.

I've tried a couple of sites, without success. Maybe a trip to the autoparts store.....:o

mrdoiron
06-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Hello there,

# 537025 Bulb is No Longer Avail from Landrover.

I've tried a couple of sites, without success. Maybe a trip to the autoparts store.....:o
Thanks Les, I found the bulb this morning at Oreilly's Auto Parts... unfortunately even with the new bulb, no flash ! Guess I'll need to disassemble and trace wires.

thx, mike

bobzinak
06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
the two prong flashers are for turn signals that have both left and right indicators in/on the dash, like most american cars, the three prong ones work the same but have one of the spades on the flasher unit marked "P" for pilot.. meaning single pilot light..I replaced both of mine (2 and 3 prong) with hella electronic flashers..both have worked fine for years now..bobzinak

mrdoiron
06-12-2011, 07:55 PM
the two prong flashers are for turn signals that have both left and right indicators in/on the dash, like most american cars, the three prong ones work the same but have one of the spades on the flasher unit marked "P" for pilot.. meaning single pilot light..I replaced both of mine (2 and 3 prong) with hella electronic flashers..both have worked fine for years now..bobzinak
Both of the flashers were 2 prong... so that is what I replaced it with...and although the front and back signals now work, the light in the housing of the indicator arm still does not - even though I replaced the bulb. Are you saying there is the possibility this is because I need 3 prong instead ? Or am I reading this optimistically ?? As you can see I hoping to avoid tracing wires to get that damn little window to work !

cheers, mike

stonefox
06-12-2011, 08:59 PM
In the same vein kinda.... All of my directionals work.And the bulb on the colume works for the right signal,but does not flash for the left.Any theories there?

Terrys
06-13-2011, 05:31 AM
A 2A with the original signal unit, should have a 3 prong flasher. You will see that the indicator is on when the light on the wing is off, and vice-versa. A series 3 uses a 2 prong, and it's R&L indicators on the speedo light with the lights on the wing, as they are wired to the wing light branch and not from a flasher unit. Unless somone has rewired your truck, the plug to the flasher should have 3 wires with a plug similar to the plug on the headlights.