PDA

View Full Version : Bay State MG Rover Day

Lord Icon
06-11-2011, 06:28 PM
As a few of us went to the British by the Sea show in Ct. and had fun, I was wondering if anyone had the time to go to the MG Rover day at the MoT in Mass.?
I think a hoard of us in fresh mud would look fine parked next to all the stuck up sticky beaks in their rag top surrys.
Any one up for a bit of fun? I'm sure we could find a local camp ground to stay at.
Jack Horner
President, Bay State MGA Club. Has sent me a pm and said we would have no awards buy the entry would only be 7 quid...
Seems cheap enough..
Any takers?
Kris ( MacGyver) Haggis:thumb-up:

Lord Icon
06-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Whilst looking at the advert for the Larz Anderson Auto Museum June 26 2011.... I see it does list the Land Rover an accepted marque. I guess the Mg folk are hoping we do not come en masse .
There is also a western Mass British Invasion in Lennox Mass. June 17.
As I go to the Sept one in Stowe VT I will not be attending ... maybe... I think..
:)

rwollschlager
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
is the MG Rover day at the MoT different from the event at the Larz Anderson british car day on the 26th? just trying to figure out the dates here and see what I can swing....

do we know of any trails in the area?

If i can get one of the beasts running properly I'm interested..

-Rob

73series88
06-11-2011, 11:11 PM
yeah
dates times
aaron

Lord Icon
06-12-2011, 06:35 AM
http://www.larzanderson.org/Topics/Topic.cfm?TopicName=Show%20Event&CalendarEventId=135
The date is Sunday June 26 10-2 pm.
I know of no trails near the site due to the inner city location ... We could all go to the north end the day before... MMMMM cannoli....Michael's pastry....MMMMMmmm

stomper
06-12-2011, 06:42 AM
the cannolis are better from Bova's Bakery, which is about 2 or 3 blocks from Mike's Pastry. I've been going to Bova's for over 30 years. Great family run italian bakery.:thumb-up:

Lord Icon
06-12-2011, 06:47 AM
June 17-19 is the British Invasion (west and south) in Lenox Ma.
The trail riding is much better but I don't have the time to spend.Any body going to this ? I would love some feedback, is it like Stowe, but hot and buggier?
Cheers, Kris

Lord Icon
06-12-2011, 06:50 AM
the cannolis are better from Bova's Bakery, which is about 2 or 3 blocks from Mike's Pastry. I've been going to Bova's for over 30 years. Great family run italian bakery.:thumb-up:

I could see the fight between Mike's and Modern, but Bova's?
Never been, never heard of them.Mike's has a better selection of pastry but I think Modern has a better over all taste and price. How does Bova's compare?

TedW
06-12-2011, 06:57 AM
I think a hoard of us in fresh mud would look fine parked next to all the stuck up sticky beaks in their rag top surrys.

I would definitely not describe the attendees at the British Invasion this way.

Was that your experience there, too, Kris?

I find the BI crowd to be warm, open, friendly, and very chatty, no matter what they are driving. And many of them have memories of past experience with Rovers (especially in childhood) which helped stamp them with the British car imprint.

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone on this board who might consider going to the BI to think that the other attendees are a bunch of snots. Couldn't be farther from it, IMO.

Lord Icon
06-12-2011, 07:41 AM
I would definitely not describe the attendees at the British Invasion this way.

Was that your experience there, too, Kris?

I find the BI crowd to be warm, open, friendly, and very chatty, no matter what they are driving. And many of them have memories of past experience with Rovers (especially in childhood) which helped stamp them with the British car imprint.

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone on this board who might consider going to the BI to think that the other attendees are a bunch of snots. Couldn't be farther from it, IMO.

If I had wanted to call them snots... I would have.
Please unbunch yer undies.
As a child I never went to a ball game . My dad and I always went to car shows. The smell of Armourall and carnuba wax filling the air.
I have spent more hours cleaning the pebbles out of tyre treads than I care to count. Till I was 15 I thought q-tips were for cars not ears.
I poke fun at him often when I show up with the mud covered rover and park next to his 73 rag top with 32 coats of hand rubbed lacquer.

Have you never heard of Monty Python? Hear hear well spoken Bruce...
As for the attitude .... at the British by the Sea weekend I saw the cleanest and best painted rover I have ever seen. It won first prize. Personally I don't know why. He will never take it off road. Too much money invested. The lightweight next to it brought tears to my eyes it was so well done. He gave me a $ figure and I am still looking into re-mortgaging the house to get it...

I have had only good times at the British Invasion.I spend my year looking forward to the weekend and wish it were a week long. If you can't take some good natured ribbing,then I blow my nose at you, Yur mother was a hamster and yur father smelt of elderberrys, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time...:D

TedW
06-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I didn't detect your sarcasm, Kris. No harm, no foul.

stomper
06-13-2011, 06:17 AM
I could see the fight between Mike's and Modern, but Bova's?
Never been, never heard of them.Mike's has a better selection of pastry but I think Modern has a better over all taste and price. How does Bova's compare?

I can't vouch for Modern, as I have never been there, but Bova's is only known by the true italians that live in the North End. It feels like a throw back to the 50's and 60's when you walk in. Momma is sitting behind the counter, and her children are waiting on customers. She will occasionally look up from her pastery dough to yell something in italian to one of her kids. The experience is surreal, and the pastery is even better. I have never compared the prices, as a good canolli is in my mind, priceless!

Lord Icon
06-22-2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.larzanderson.org/Topics/Topic.cfm?TopicName=Show%20Event&CalendarEventId=135
I am going to the MoT this weekend, anybody want to come along?
We could camp in southern NH on sat. Just a quick 2 hour rover ride into the "big city " of Boston. Get there early and hit the north end... BEST Italian food around.
I'm getting George the series 3 ( mark 2) extra muddy in the next few days.
Hope to hear from you lurkers soon.
Cheers.
Kris ( MacGyver):thumb-up:

Lord Icon
08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
I can't vouch for Modern, as I have never been there, but Bova's is only known by the true italians that live in the North End. It feels like a throw back to the 50's and 60's when you walk in. Momma is sitting behind the counter, and her children are waiting on customers. She will occasionally look up from her pastery dough to yell something in italian to one of her kids. The experience is surreal, and the pastery is even better. I have never compared the prices, as a good canolli is in my mind, priceless!

I took the wife to the North End on Wed. I tried Bova's. I find the food quite good and the attitude is better than Mike's. The portions are better for normal folk as well . I would rather buy 3 small lobster tail than one huge one.
The fact that they take plastic is a big bonus as well.
Cheers.

stomper
08-18-2011, 06:58 PM
:thumb-up:Glad you liked it! I will never go to another North End Bakery other than Bova's.