PDA

View Full Version : Barrel key lock...

martindktm
06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
How do we remove them??

bkreutz
06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
If you have the key, insert the key, turn it until you can see a pin line up with a hole in the latch housing then push the pin with a small punch. If you don't have a key, drill it out.

Les Parker
06-15-2011, 12:17 PM
On the switch or latch assy, there should be a small (1/16") diameter hole, using a small screwdriver or pin, depress the brass detent on the barrel and it should draw out. (with the key in, of course)

martindktm
06-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks! I will get in the garage tonight and have a try at it.

Cutter
06-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Any method to remove the lift gate tumbler without the key? I guess I am asking if that tumbler is interchangeable if I drill it out? My truck didn't come with a key for it and being in the city I'd prefer to have a secure truck.

stomper
06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Any method to remove the lift gate tumbler without the key? I guess I am asking if that tumbler is interchangeable if I drill it out? My truck didn't come with a key for it and being in the city I'd prefer to have a secure truck.

Haha, Secure and rover are two words I would never put together. The tumbler is the same on the swing away station wagon door as the side doors, but I am unsure about the tailgate options.

Cutter
06-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Haha, Secure and rover are two words I would never put together. The tumbler is the same on the swing away station wagon door as the side doors, but I am unsure about the tailgate options.

Quite true, if someone wanted to get in, it wouldn't be that hard even locked. As is now I rely on the lift gate latch being quite hard to turn as the only deterrent. I have a feeling it isn't quite the same as the other latches as I can't see any obvious method of removing the core.

HybridIIA
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Its been a couple of years since I've taken mine apart, and I don't quite remember the details, but you can definitely remove a liftgate tumbler without a key - there is no need to drill it out. It is different than the other tumblers in your truck. In fact, once it is out, you can rekey it to match the other locks or ignition key. When I purchased my liftgate, it didn't come with a key, and I rekeyed it to match the other locks. To do this though, I do remember that the handle need to be removed from the liftgate.

The following is a link on rekeying, I followed these directions and matched all my locks and ignition to 1 key... http://www.tanygraig.force9.co.uk/John/locks.htm