PDA

View Full Version : transmission swap

ecodx123
06-21-2011, 06:39 AM
anyone have any suggestion on what is a good replacement transmission for a series 3 88 land rover. i see chevy sm465 out there as well as an nv 4500 these seem to have adapters to fit them. also i have a clunking sound coming off the transfer casing, the frnt drive shaft seems lose, any thought on that. tnx

albersj51
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Lots of great info at expeditionlandrover.info. From what I understand, its hard to fit a different tranny into an 88" because this will make for a very short rear propshaft with odd angles.

albersj51
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Let me clarify, there are likely trannys that work from a size stand point but the differential offset is also an issue. If you can weld/fab, it can be done. I've read of all sorts of things and the adaptors are available, it just depends on your skill level.

ecodx123
06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
i looked at that site and they turned me onto a company that makes adapters. for the various transmissions. that exppoland site has soome great info, i was just not sue what the best transmission to use is.

ecodx123
06-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm finding out , that to keep the LR engine and to put in a sm 465 transmission i will need to get a bell housing adapter or another bell housing anyone have info on that, tnx

PeterK
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Are you planning to keep the stock 2.25 engine?
If you are, I can't see why you would consider swapping in another transmission.
I know that isn't the answer to your question, but it would be a tremondous amount of work, requireing adapters at both ends of the transmission and probably bulkhead, or other mods.

If you can get your hands on a nice quiet series transmission and add an overdrive, I'd go with the Roverdrive. I think you'd be very happy.

Cheers
Peter

ecodx123
06-22-2011, 06:51 AM
I bought a 1963 I like better then the 1973 series 3, so, I was going to sell her. Lots of folks have no idea what these are, and , the can’t shift the things, so, with a seal problem in the transfer casing, I thought I would keep the motor, its in great shape, and then change out the transmission , I have talked to a company in calif. That has adapters, but, I have to redo the bell housing or through a 2.5 chev in the thing. So that’s where I’m at right now

TeriAnn
06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I bought a 1963 I like better then the 1973 series 3, so, I was going to sell her. Lots of folks have no idea what these are, and , the can’t shift the things, so, with a seal problem in the transfer casing, I thought I would keep the motor, its in great shape, and then change out the transmission , I have talked to a company in calif. That has adapters, but, I have to redo the bell housing or through a 2.5 chev in the thing. So that’s where I’m at right now

Usually you pick an engine and compatible gearbox as a package so that they will all fit together with off the shelf bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch. Add the appropriate Advance Adapters or other gearbox to transfercase adapter then a Series transfercase. Since Advance adapters got into the game, engine+ gearbox swaps into a Series truck has gotten a lot easier.

I suggest that if you are staying with the LR 2.25L boat anchor that you stay with a gearbox that the factory fitted to it or the 200tdi (same bellhousing pattern).

Just for kicks you might visit the Ashcroft Transmissions web site if you want to stay with the 2.25.

Or just bolt in another series gearbox.

o2batsea
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
You DO NOT want an NV4500 or any other New Venture product underneath you. I don't know why people think they're good off road trannys, but they have not stood the test of time.
I can't tell what you want. There's nothing wrong with an S3 trans, it's the gutless engine that truly sucks. Go diesel with a Tdi and an r380/lt230 set up. However, the investment in such a thing gets you awfully close to just importing a Tdi Defender and being done with it.
If you want to squeeze more ponies out of the Rover gasser, there are some aftermarket cams, headers and carbs that get another 20 or so.
You may also want to go with an overdrive such as a Fairey or Roverdrive. This will help with highway cruising.
My best advice is to just leave it as it is. Use it as a grocery getter, a weekend toy and conversation piece. If you want to go wheeling, get an 87-89 Range Rover for $1500, take out all the carpets and Rhino Line the insides. Put some Rovertym suspension arms and an Old Man Emu spring kit on it, mudders and a winch and drive the sh** out of it.

meatblanket
06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
You DO NOT want an NV4500 or any other New Venture product underneath you. I don't know why people think they're good off road trannys, but they have not stood the test of time.

They are good because they combine an overdrive with a granny low first, and shift pretty smoothly for a 200 lb iron case truck transmission.

I don't think they are well suited for a Series Land Rover though, given the bulk and the length.

o2batsea
06-27-2011, 12:57 PM
No, they are not good in any way. There are plenty of 5 speed trannys that far outshine the NV line. Do your homework.

I Leak Oil
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
I've got an SM465 I've been jonesn' to build a truck around. A little, no, way overkill for a 2.25 though. Plus with the extra weight of that tranny I'd need a bigger engine.:D

meatblanket
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
No, they are not good in any way. There are plenty of 5 speed trannys that far outshine the NV line. Do your homework.

I did my homework and have an NV4500 in my Jeep. I am very happy with it. I'm not aware of any other 5 speed transmission has a granny low and offers the same strength as the NV4500. The NV4500 also enjoys a lot of aftermarket support, so you can adapted it easily to fit almost anything.

I do know that early models of this transmission had an issue with the 5th gear, but that defect was corrected in later versions. What's your specific gripe with this transmission, and what do you see as a better alternative?

leafsprung
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
You DO NOT want an NV4500 . . . There's nothing wrong with an S3 trans,

Wow. Ive run a lot of NV4500s and never had and issue. Even with 600+ftlbs of torque. S3 gearbox on the other hand Ive had plenty of issues with. The NV makes the S3 box look like it was made by fisher price. Whats your beef with the NV?

o2batsea
06-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, lots of people still smoke cigarettes even though the evidence of their drawbacks is epic. YMMV The "magic time" for the NV4500 has passed. Nobody puts them in trucks anymore.

Whats your beef with the NV?
It's ridiculously long, and needs adapter$ beyond that to add the transfer case. Won't fit well in SWB vehicles, plus the amount of mods to the interior are insane. It also has a somewhat wussy gear set, when there are 4 speeds like the SM420 and NP435 that have far better crawler gears. With an overdrive you get better gearing with far less length. Better fit is an R380/Lt230.
I never said to use an S3 trans, I wrote that he should not mess with the originals and get a trail rig to wheel.

o2batsea
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I've got an SM465 I've been jonesn' to build a truck around. A little, no, way overkill for a 2.25 though. Plus with the extra weight of that tranny I'd need a bigger engine.:D

An excellent transmission. It will be OK to fit a small block v8 to it and an adapter for the series transfer case from Advance Adapters and you're cruisin.

meatblanket
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Well, lots of people still smoke cigarettes even though the evidence of their drawbacks is epic. YMMV The "magic time" for the NV4500 has passed. Nobody puts them in trucks anymore.

It's ridiculously long, and needs adapter$ beyond that to add the transfer case. Won't fit well in SWB vehicles, plus the amount of mods to the interior are insane. It also has a somewhat wussy gear set, when there are 4 speeds like the SM420 and NP435 that have far better crawler gears. With an overdrive you get better gearing with far less length. Better fit is an R380/Lt230.
I never said to use an S3 trans, I wrote that he should not mess with the originals and get a trail rig to wheel.

R380 has nowhere near the strength of NV4500, and does not have a granny low. The SM420 and NP435 have a granny low and are short, but they are four speeds and have no overdrive. Neither shift as nicely as an NV4500.

I totally agree that an NV4500 would be extremely difficult to graft into a SWB Rover. It isn't "ridiculously" long for a 5 speed. It is 3/4" longer than an Aisin AX15, and can be used with a Dana 300 or Atlas II transfer case with NO adapter needed.

Fwiw, my vote was stick with a SIII transmission if using the original engine.;)

leafsprung
06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Bill,
I have a lot of experience with all of these transmissions. I have had land rovers with each fitted. The NV4500 has a lot of advantages over these others you recommend. I also think there are a few points on which you are mistaken . . .

It also has a somewhat wussy gear set, when there are 4 speeds like the SM420 and NP435 that have far better crawler gears.

First the SM420 wont adapt easily to the series transfer case because the casting for reverse is too large. Its a good mate for a lt230 Second, the NP435 is the predecessor to the NV4500. New process and muncie became New Venture (yes the same company you said made lousy stuff, is the one you just recommended . . .twice) Third - The NV4500 sports a 6.34 first gear which is pretty comparable to the four speeds but its fully synchronized. The NV4500 gear set is anything but "wussy". I have zero issues towing 17,000lbs behind a yoked 6bt. Its going on 400,000 miles and shifts perfect.

Better fit is an R380/Lt230
R380 does fit better, however, it has a laughable 3.39 first gear and a puny gear spread. I've had Milk that lasted longer than R380 synchros. Doesnt belong in the same league with this other stuff.

rickv100
06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
If you can find one a NP540 series with Overdrive or a Clark280vo.

I have never run one but they have been discussed as replacements for the NP420 series which is a short transmission.

Rick

meatblanket
06-28-2011, 03:30 PM
The NV4500 sports a 6.34 first gear which is pretty comparable to the four speeds but its fully synchronized.

Well to be fair, you should've mentioned that the 6.34 first gear is found only in early GM versions. The majority of NV4500s have a 5.6 first gear.

o2batsea
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I have zero issues towing 17,000lbs behind a yoked 6bt. Its going on 400,000 miles and shifts perfect.
This is in an S3 88? I wanna see that!