PDA

View Full Version : Battery drain?

knac1234
06-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Hello all,

So I think I have a battery drain somewhere.

After being stranded last weekend, I got jump started and went straight to a Napa store. They tested the battery with their gizmo, and it read bad battery.

So, I bought the largest, but more importantly the highest CCA, that would fit in the battery box (I think at least 100 CCA more than the old one).

It still wants to start very slowly in the morning (not cold right now). It's as if it has drained over night.

I haven't investigated yet, just looking for thoughts. If unable to figure out where the drain may be, is there a cut off switch I can install in the meantime to prevent this drain?

Regards,
Julian

SafeAirOne
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Is your alternator, in fact, charging the battery?

cedryck
06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
You can, and should install a knife type switch at the battery, that way you can interupt the circuit until you find out why the battery drains. Best of luck.

knac1234
06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Mark-I would think it is, but haven't checked yet. Ignition lamp goes out when started--at least that's a good sign.

Cedrik-That's what I will do. Only issue for me is that will stop the Smiths clock I installed from keeping time. Oh well!

Cheers,
Julian

albersj51
06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey Julian,

The auto parts store should be able to use the same dohicky to check your alternator and starter. At least then you can rule out those two out as well. Best of luck!

Lowlandbear
06-25-2011, 07:36 AM
I have a similar problem with an alternator on my 2.5 L diesel and I found that the connector to the alternator does not have a good connection. Most of the time, like once a week I reach down and reset it. It also has a worn pin on the alternator connection so it doesn't get a "good" connection all the time.

I have a disconnect on the battery, so I disconnect whenever I stop. I just helps with peace of mind and I think there may be a small drain somewhere in the lights, because it happens more when using the lights, so wintery conditions.

Anyway, I rarely have a problem since I started resetting the connector to the alternator. and never have a problem when I remember to disconnect the battery. Luckely for me the b attery is behind the drivers seat, so it is easy to reach behind and hit the disconnect.

Peace,
James

knac1234
06-25-2011, 07:47 AM
James,

Thanks. I will be fitting one shortly. No auto parts store in town actually has any in stock :eek: Hopefully end of next week.

When I get time, I will dig in a little looking for the cause.

Alternator-wise, so it is possible it is charging slightly....don't they usually just die period?

Cheers,
Julian

bkreutz
06-25-2011, 11:54 AM
One of the most common battery draw failures is from a bad alternator, what happens is a diode in the alternator fails and the alternator draws down the battery when shut off. The way to verify this is with an ammeter. Remove one of the battery cables and measure the current flow between the two with everything off, I usually figure anything under 200 milliamps as normal parasitic draw.

knac1234
06-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I may be chasing something that does not exist!

I performed an "experiment" of sorts. I went to start the Rover and, before allowing it to fire up, observed that, in my opinion, the starter sounds like it turns "slow" (compared to my other Brit cars with Lucas starters).

I hooked up my battery charger to the new battery, and within 5 seconds or less the charger registered full charge.

So, I assume there is no drain??

Are the starters just "slow" on these? Or is it possible mine is acting up? Would a modern hi-torque gear reduction starter eliminate this?

Any thoughts appreciated....
Julian