PDA

View Full Version : Series differentials

Tsmith
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM
I have two differentials from a '96 Discovery. Are they compatible with the Series II SWB axles? Since it sees mostly road miles, are these diffs a resonable alternative to a Roverdrive?

I Leak Oil
06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
They should be 24 spline. Good opportunity to upgrade your shafts if you go this route.

badvibes
06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
The Disco diffs are 3.54:1 stock. I think you have to make minor modification to the Series housing to use them, drill an "indexing hole" or remove the indexing pin from the Disco chunk. Do some math and/or look at TAW's info page here:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/gear_ratio.htm

My concern would be losing the low gearing advantage of the stock Series diffs off road. May not be an issue for some.

Jeff

Tsmith
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your help and the references to Teriann's site. My other cars have TR3 engines and the site is a goldmine of information. The original diffs in the car are fine and I'd only change them as a curiosity. The 88 gets mostly road use and never more than a mile or two on the highway and I've never used 1st low box so the change might be interesting.

Tom Smith

Les Parker
06-27-2011, 03:44 PM
As noted in a previous post, they will fit, though the side gears are 24 spline on the DI, the Series take 10 spline. Also many of the DI's had a 3 bolt flange on the rear diff for the rubber rotary coupling (though the post 1996> DI's reverted to the 4 bolt flange), so this may need addressed.

Tsmith
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Thank you Les,

Before retiring the D1, a replaced rubber joint three or four times. I recall a replacement that used a universal joint instead...or perhaps the lighter weight of the SII will allow the rubber joint to last longer. I wonder what did them in, time or miles? It seemed like a bad idea.