PDA

View Full Version : New front crossmember

bullstanky
06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
I need a new front crossmember for my SIII 109, but no one, including our hosts, have one in stock. Now what?

albersj51
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Try Ike at Pangolin4x4.com

Terrys
06-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Do you mean the front bumper, or front crossmember? The crossmember is an integral part of the frame, through which the steering relay passes.

bullstanky
06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Do you mean the front bumper, or front crossmember? The crossmember is an integral part of the frame, through which the steering relay passes.

I'm talking about the front crossmember, not the bumper. Mine is rusted through and needs to be cut out and replaced with fresh metal and a new steering gear.

o2batsea
06-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Highly recommend the power steering conversion over the stock steering. I mean as long as you're going to all that trouble and taking the front end apart...
I did it years ago and boy what a difference.
This way you can get away with simply replacing the front x member with a box section of new metal that anyone can fabricate.

amcordo
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Highly recommend the power steering conversion over the stock steering. I mean as long as you're going to all that trouble and taking the front end apart...
I did it years ago and boy what a difference.
This way you can get away with simply replacing the front x member with a box section of new metal that anyone can fabricate.

But then you don't get huge guns like I've got from turning the wheel!

rwollschlager
06-23-2011, 12:48 PM
But then you don't get huge guns like I've got from turning the wheel!

so thats how you get all the ladies!

Terrys
06-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm talking about the front crossmember, not the bumper. Mine is rusted through and needs to be cut out and replaced with fresh metal and a new steering gear.
That should be an easy find with all the reframes going on. If you can't come up with one, I'll sawzall one out of a parts truck for you.

bullstanky
12-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Found one, spent hours with the wire wheel to clean it up, had it galvanized, painted it, had the old one cut out and the new one welded in and gusseted, and after around a $1,200 investment, my rover now steers no better or worse than it did before, though it is nice to no longer be able to reach up inside the cross member from the bottom and grab handfuls of rusty metal.

The moral of the story, when looking at rover online that is listed as having "some rust", save your time and look elsewhere. I've already spent more on the frame of this truck than some really cool rigs are listed for. Before my next series purchase I'll be looking for the following magic words "galvanized frame".

bullstanky
12-19-2013, 02:40 PM

My new front horn it all of it's flat black rustoleum glory!

Les Parker
12-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Nice outcome, did you have to convert a LHD to RHD X-member. Cannot be many RHD Front X-members over here .....